Today I learned
  • @ninetwotwo Wow, that's actually a really great idea, had never thought of it. I'm sure it would save a buch on render times!
  • @zickar it's available in the effects panel of the render settings manager. You need AR3 < R12 or Studio R12+ to use it, I think..
  • @dan_hin I think it goes back to R10.5. I'm using R11.5.
    @Rostenbach Using render tags to adjust the ray trace is key. Another method I've used is setting AA to Best min1:1 max 1:1 for backgroung objects and mid-ground. Then bumped my hero objects/ foreground min4:4 and max 4:4 set object buffers according the DOF and used edge blur in post composting to soften edges.
    I really want to upgrade to R12 and take advantage of LW flow.
  • Today I learned that Kronos from The Foundry isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've deactivated it until they can find a way to make it work without corrupting all the projects it's been used on!
  • Today I learned that you can only do so much.  And that even in business, there's a fine line between being a nice person and being "a nice guy". 
  • Today I just learned...This would be an awesome weekly blog post!

What say you guys?
  • eyedesyn said: Today I just learned...This would be an awesome weekly blog post!

What say you guys?

Much needed .... and I think the idea about how a break is needed every once and a while is great .. we can all relate because I myself am on a 5 day vacation after a long month or so
  • Today I am learning just how effective the puppet tool can be inside on AE.
  • Yeah ... Its pretty cool
    You should also look at the mesh warp effect , I started using it some time ago and now I use it to create quick flags and curtains
  • Today (well, yesterday) I finally learned how to perform a clean UV unwrap. It takes LOTS of time and patience, especially when dealing with complex meshes. But once it's done, it is so much easier and painless to paint on in photoshop. 
  • @odd_enough Not using C4D/BP then?
  • odd_enough said: Today (well, yesterday) I finally learned how to perform a clean UV unwrap. It takes LOTS of time and patience, especially when dealing with complex meshes. But once it's done, it is so much easier and painless to paint on in photoshop. 

Wish you could teach me how
  • @dan_hin No, since my migration to Maya, I've been using that to to pretty much everything. The rest of the office uses Maya, so I figured it was best to do the same to keep with continuity. That, and it seems to be far less frustrating to work with than C4D (so far). 

@zickar Not sure if it's something I would know how to teach. It took me a little over a year to figure out, after watching countless tutorials and advice from friends and co-workers. In the end, what helped me get a firm grasp on it was to figure out ideal places to make your seams for the cuts. Make sure you can unfold as big of a cluster of polys as possible. Place/scale the clusters in order of visual importance and proximity. Also, if you see any sort of distortion of the UV reference in the viewport, then you need to fix it, else it is a definite way to get frustrated later on when you go to paint.

Just for posterity, here are the UV's that I came up with: http://o3visuals.com/files/cannon_uv.png

And here is the low-poly model that I made (just the diffuse channel): http://o3visuals.com/files/cannon.jpg

I blended most of the obvious breaks in the textures in photoshop, and rescaled the spokes so they don't look so blurry, but you get the picture.

It took A LOT of trial and error to figure out adequate seam placement. That unwrap took me 12 hours :P Hoping the process gets faster the more I do it.

• @odd_enough .. Yeah it can be very tedious but IMO I think its way better than bodypaint . I tried saving the BP texture from Cinema 4D and editing it in Photoshop but it looked very weird ... UVW unwrapping looks much more intuitive IMO and I hope to one day master it . I've done some tutorials but still don't know much about this
  • I couldn't figure out BP for the life of me. I think that is what was causing most of my frustrations with UV's. Followed a tutorial and having that work once, then repeating the steps on another project and having the same process not work at all (like making the mesh outlines show up). In Maya, you can export a psd of the UV layout with mesh outlines and shading as a single button on the UI. Bam. Easy.
  • Today (actually two days ago) I learned how to model a heart , actualy it turned out to be very easy
  • Today I learned how to rig a full-fledged biped character complete with IK in Maya. Surprisingly easy. Skin weighting, on the other hand... not so easy.
  • @odd_enough .. you learn too many hard stuff :D
  • Yeah, I remember rigging in Maya to be fairly easy to grasp. I'm seriously contemplating jumping back into it.
  • @zickar Just trying to learn as much as I possibly can during this proof of concept period. Kind of have to considering I'm the only one creating all of the art assets for it :P Models, environments, textures, animations, pre-renders, etc. The list is rather extensive. And a lot of the stuff I need to do I had never done before. Learning how to model a confederate soldier is scheduled for tomorrow. =/

• odd_enough said: Learning how to model a confederate soldier is scheduled for tomorrow. =/

That should be easy
  • This was over the weekend, but I learned (more was reminded) that C4D doesn't auto-save by default. I was working on a freelance project over the weekend when the power went out. Normally I'd have some kind of warning, but it was a nice, sunny day in the 50's (°F); no storm, no high winds, not hot enough that everyone had their AC on… just a nice day. Lost about an hour and a half of work. Yay.

The irony of it all is that I was in the process of narrowing down UPS systems for my home office.
  • @conigs recent events have convinced me that autosave and incremental save are absolute requirements for any project. I'm generally never any more than 10 minutes away from a backup, plus if we have to roll back changes for any reason it's easy to get back to a previous version.

On a related note - anyone using Gridiron Flow still?
  • Zickar said:
    dazpix said:

That sounds great, I have not even dipped my toe into Xpresso yet, looks very powerful and something that I really want to dedicate some time to learn...when I get some time that is. I'm used to working with node based composite systems but all that maths looks a bit scary to start off with.

Actually you could enjoy a lot without even knowing what sin is :D ... you can even use it without knowing how it works ... its very intuitive and very flexible . I suggest if you ever dedicate time to this subject to get the CMI VFX training , about eight hours long and worth every penny , I've only watched 2 hours or so of them so far but I feel like I have learned a lot and understand my Xpresso better ...

That CMIVFX training is super thorough and well thought out once you get over the pacing and sometimes distracting accent. Even better is when you learn that you can hit "SHIFT+1" or "2" while watching that video in Chrome to speed it up a bit!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter