Where do you work?
  • Just running a general open poll here. Where do you work:

• Freelance (Home)
    • Freelance (Studios)
    • Agency
    • Studio
    • Other (explain)

Just for reference, I would put myself under Freelance (studio) since I almost always freelance at other businesses. What are the pros & cons of your work situation?

• I work at an in-house design department for a news/media website, TBD.com.
    I also do a lot of freelance work after hours at home.

Pros of my work situation is that it's a reliable 10-6 job, not a lot of overtime, a lot of creative freedom.
    Cons are the lack of quality larger long term projects.

That's where my freelance gigs come in, I am usually doing more of my fullfilling work through freelance.  Hoping to someday be able to freelance at studios full time.  I don't think I'd want freelance working from home all the time, I'd get cabin fever real quick.
  • I have to say "Agency" - I work in-house in the Media department at themediagroup.tv. My contract doesn't permit me to work freelance. I have the same pros and cons as @eyedesyn.
  • I guess studio/agency? My current role at MudBrick has evolved into something much different and encompasses a wider area of work than I originally signed up for, but I'm not complaining in the slightest. I don't do much mograph work, but I still do a ton of animation.

In the 5 months I've been working at MB I've had to learn Flash, Maya, UDK, InDesign, and a slew of other programs to keep up with the projects coming in. Out of the 7 people who make up MudBrick, I'm the only 3D user there, aside from my boss but he rarely has time to do much of that. 

Like @dan_hin, I also cannot do freelance, but honestly, I'm glad to be out of that game.

I'm having a hard time trying to think of any cons to this job. It's a 15 min bike ride from my apartment, I can dress however I want, we have nerf gun battles regularly (this is needed to let off steam for when we get off of annoying client calls), we get a load of really neat and interesting projects with creative freedom out the wazoo. Every one of my coworkers are a joy to work with, and we all mesh well. The working environment is very efficient and incredibly comfortable. The bike ride to and back are the most boring parts of the day. To sum up... dream job. 

(I'm just really enthusiastic about my job)

• @odd_enough : I envy you if the most boring part of your job is the ride back and from home :D It seems like a very creative and inspiring . Besides its also cool when you are the only 3D user around :D

I have a good working environment , I work at aljadeed tv ( www.aljadeed.tv ) Its your regular regional tv station . We have boring day to day jobs like pac-shots and text animations and you get the interesting jobs that drag for a few weeks like opening sequences and branding . The department has 4 animators and 2 designers but only me and the head of the department are 3D users . I took some "boring work" when I first came but I tried to distant myself from that and recently I become specialized in 3D work only , no after effects boring stuff . I usually work on Graphic packages for shows .

I've been here for less than a year and the atmosphere is pretty good . We don't get gun battles but the creative director for example is so considerate he gets upset when I close a flash game when he is talking to me necause he doesn't want me to loose my progress :D . The head of the Graphics team is also pretty cool , he always has cool tutorials to share and cool stuff to show us . I stay late because I want to and get excited about projects and I come late .. I just came in a few minutes ago (10.30) ... but I really hate it when sometimes the creative director or head comes to me at the end of the day and tells me that this is a really urgent project and we need it done .. it happens sometimes and its really frustrating .

Other than that its all good , the money is OK . I don't work a lot of freelance . I wish to work more freelance but I have been stung by the freelance bee when some client refused to pay me my money :( the 9-5 job is secure and we have some creative freedom .. so I'm happy although I wish that we have the freedom to venture outside the digital world into mixed media and incorporating footage and other elements into our digital work
  • Contractor/Freelance
    Contractor 9-5:
    I work mostly on contracted military projects doing motion graphics for video productions ranging from 30 sec spots on Armed Forces Network (AFN), title/opening sequences, graphics packages (lower thirds, bumpers, logos) to DVD authored programs. 
    Pros- working remote is a plus. I can work from home when needed. Pay not bad and steady. Travel is not bad. Producers are cool and give free creative reign.
    Cons- very stuffy environments, unless you like working where the color palettes are shades of gray  
    laced with barbed wire. Pipelines are none existent. No type of creative vibe from coworkers.

Freelance:
    I do a fair amount of freelance work as well, largely consisting of medical, university and business development vids. I try to balance my freetime to maintain a life condition that doesn't result in drooling on the keyboard, due to lack of sleep and desperately clutching my ribs in agonizing pain from stress. However, much like @eyedesyn I would like to transition back into full-time freelance.
    BTW I don't really drool on the keyboard... I have an Incredible Hulk bib.
  • @ninetwotwo .. Interesting job description . but I guess you are limited by the approach , you can't do abstract stuff for example or experimental stuff because tehre isn't a variety in the projects . that's what I like about my job (I work in a TV) is that every show is different from the other
  • I freelance from home in Seattle full-time, but the majority of my motion clients happen to be in LA, or NY, or studios like Epipheo located in Cincinnati. I also contract out a lot of print, web and video work for various clients local and distant to creative friends that live all over the U.S under my business. I've been freelancing for a start-up explainer style company in Boston the past year and we've really worked on the way we communicate which has been a huge help. Daily morning Skype meetings, and constant contact through Skype and Basecamp. 

The motion community here is smaller, but I've met some rad people at the AE meetups like @robmonstro, designers at local studios, and members of the Adobe AE team.

Currently I'm using what little free time I have to get more C4D under my belt, and to work on more abstract stuff. I'd like to move on to bigger and better studios on par with Digital Kitchen or Superfad here in Seattle in the future. :3
  • I am an editor at a small midwest retail chain. I am the only post-production person, so I do a little of everything from digital signage to animated web banners, but mostly broadcast commercials. I'm located in a pretty small market so there really is not much of community here. Whenever I get the chance I cruise down to Milwaukee to meetup with the Mograph Milwaukee crew. Great group of guys.  

I don't do much freelance, just enough to keep my home studio up-to-date.  The day job is steady(roughly 50 hrs a week), but strict. No cellphones, headphones/personal music, very limited networking/outside communication (no twitter/no forums etc.) Also not much creative freedom. So there are some advantages and disadvantages to working corporate.

In what personal time I have, I work on improving my design skills along with 3D.  Lately I've been working on my illustration skills(Long way to go).

• Until February I was at an agency, but I quit then to go full-time freelance. 

Because I'm so new, I'm still figuring out the freelance thing. Most of the projects I'm working on so far are 60 to 90 second videos for the web, either explainer videos for startups or sales videos. That can be a lot of fun, and I definitely hope to get more of that in the coming months. My ideal would be to work exclusively with startups to help them create explainer videos that tie in mograph and live action, but Nashville doesn't have a lot of funded startups, so there's not much demand for that around here.

The agency I worked for dealt exclusively with Personal Injury Lawyers, so it wasn't exactly the most creative place inthe world to be. But I didn't know AE when I started working there, and it was mostly what i did everything in once I left, so I can't complain about a job that let me learn on the clock. 

Now I just need to find time to learn C4D.
  • In a studio. Working on DVD and Blu-Ray projects for a mix of small and big studios. 
    My new job has a much more creative atmosphere at times and people working there actually seem passionate about film/design/their work, which is great. 

Would like to do freelance at some point but think right now that I don't have enough contacts or a good enough reel. In a few years I'd like to try it definitely..
  • I'm freelance in a studio. It's pretty much 5 days a week at IV Motion, with the typical downtime or hardcore deadline time. I can freelance on the side but that generally just ends up being passion jobs; theatre posters, the odd logo things like that. I was never very enthusiastic about hunting for clients or even dealing with clients to be honest. I <3 having a producer.
    It's the freedom that comes with freelance that I love. I can take a week off with little notice to work on my films or just take a holiday. Love it.
  • Well for the rest of the week I'm freelance but I just took a fulltime senior motion graphics artist position at a studio called Neoscape in NYC. I've freelanced for 5 years but I wanted to be part of team instead of a lone gun. Also It's nicer to work in an office thats not in my apartment.

Also I think I need a break from the hustle. Yeah I'm swapping my freedom for some stability but I know I can always go back (VIVA LA FREELANCE haha)

• Freelance at different studios in NYC and Denver. 

Pros
    -Day rates
    -Meet new people
    -Fresh projects
    -Travel
    -Day rates

Cons
    -Inconsistent
    -Net 30 (or sometimes 60)
    -taxes
    -Shitty projects
    -Constantly whoring yourself for new work

• For me, it's always been a teetering between having no freelance coming in, or way too much coming in.  In my area, it's very inconsistent.  I feel if I did ever go freelance fulltime I'd be taking a major pay cut.  I'd have to move to a bigger market first.  I got a feeling that if I moved up to NYC, based on people I already know there, I'd be able to get tons of freelance.  In NYC they're just real gung-ho about people working on site and being local to NYC.
  • Hello everyone. I have worked at various agencies over the years doing some 3d and after effects stuff. Some years ago I created a brand for myself (CÚBICA) and started a small studio (very very small actually, is just me and a friend of mine who does 3D, and for some projects we hire more people). 

You can check my website www.cubica.ec  I started it doing more website stuff (which I don't like too much) and with time I have moved to work most of all in animation and motion graphics projects. And some VFX ones, which I would love to have more. 
  • I actually may have to update my position a bit. Started a video game studio with 8 other people in central PA. All very talented people. You might know one of them on twitter as @RynoMotion. I am doing work with art direction on environmental modeling and texturing and well as character/object animation and rigging. 

Still working at MudBrick as well (for now).

• Great odd_enoughGood luck with your new studio!
  • @edd_enough Wow that's cool, doing original games or as a studio for hire (I know next to nothing about the games industry so forgive me if that's a totally stupid question..)
  • Well, we started this with an original title in mind. We will definitely be doing that as well as offering asset production services much like Digital Extremes, Chair Entertainment, and others. 
  • Cool, be sure to share a few links with us when you get some work out there.
    Look forward to seeing stuff as it's a bit different from most of the stuff we see on here, i.e. straight motion graphics
    Good luck with it!
  • Thanks! I suspect I'll be tasked with making the cinematics and trailers for it as well, so there is that. Could probably sneak some mograph in there. :)
  • Sounds like you'll be doing quite a lot of character animation... or will it be mocapped?
  • Most likely mocapped, but will still need to do some of our own animations as well. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter