Today I learned
  • I really feel bad when a day goes by without learning something new , finishing a tutorial or learning something new on my own so this thread is dedicated to stuff we learn along the way , little things as well as big things

1-Today I learned that flipflops aren't just summer footwear and inside CInema 4D Xpresso they can be very valuable switchers
  • Today I learned to ensure I got the Mothers Day card into the post box early enough, and to not complain about wearing a tie to lunch.....I also learnt some cool mo-splines tips, and some new ways to optimise C4D renders from GSG boyo.

• dazpix said: Today I learned to ensure I got the Mothers Day card into the post box early enough, and to not complain about wearing a tie to lunch.....I also learnt some cool mo-splines tips, and some new ways to optimise C4D renders from GSG boyo.

Yeah I have them sitting in my blog reader and will get to them soon but I also saw a tutorial explaining how messing with your reflection and shadow depth could rally speed your renders too

Today I learned about something called pBlurb inside cinema 4D , its an Xpresso node that you can use to turn one object into particles that will fly across a custom path into a completely different object ! Sphere to square , Triangle to cylinder , etc ...
  • Zickar said
    Today I learned about something called pBlurb inside cinema 4D , its an Xpresso node that you can use to turn one object into particles that will fly across a custom path into a completely different object ! Sphere to square , Triangle to cylinder , etc ...

That sounds great, I have not even dipped my toe into Xpresso yet, looks very powerful and something that I really want to dedicate some time to learn...when I get some time that is. I'm used to working with node based composite systems but all that maths looks a bit scary to start off with.
  • dazpix said:

That sounds great, I have not even dipped my toe into Xpresso yet, looks very powerful and something that I really want to dedicate some time to learn...when I get some time that is. I'm used to working with node based composite systems but all that maths looks a bit scary to start off with.

Actually you could enjoy a lot without even knowing what sin is :D ... you can even use it without knowing how it works ... its very intuitive and very flexible . I suggest if you ever dedicate time to this subject to get the CMI VFX training , about eight hours long and worth every penny , I've only watched 2 hours or so of them so far but I feel like I have learned a lot and understand my Xpresso better ...
  • @Zickar cool, will have a look at that training, cheers
  • Today (OK Friday) I learned a few things:

1. Comps need to be visible or they won't render; sounds logical til you start prerendering track mattes..
    2. Layers with Kronos/timewarp on them need to be split at the 100% key or your rendertime will balloon

• Today I learned: Sketch and Toon in C4D is very powerful but it can be very fickle. It's tough getting the look you want, and when you do, prepare for large render times.
  • Today I learned about the Pdraw and Pmatterwave nodes inside cinema 4d , the first allows you to draw particles inside the view port and apply all sots of wind and effects to it while the other and most interesting allows you to emit particles from geometry using a number of ways such as texture and light and you can even control the direction of the particles ... Some brilliant stuff
  • This is a dumb one, but today I learned, when you reopen a file to do an additional render... make sure you change your output path. You don't want to overwrite your original files. *facepalm*
  • I think a lot of us have done that before :P

Today (well yesterday), I learned that a giant hamster ball for a virtual environment is more of a marketing tool than a new gaming device. The practicality of the thing in terms of gaming is next to none. Also, tripping and falling in one when you're running in it is NOT fun. And somewhat scary. (it's involved in our current project at work)

• I am so intrigued by your comment, Jordan. Please elaborate... did you trip?
  • Yep. We were testing out control latency of the sensors on the headset and at the base of the ball and I tried to run in the thing, which you supposedly can do, according to the videos. But maybe it requires someone with more physical strength :P I got it moving, but considering that the ball itself weighs 50 times more than I do, getting it to stop proved to be a bigger challenge. Heh, we did get a video of @tru0000FF falling though :)
  • Rostenbach said: This is a dumb one, but today I learned, when you reopen a file to do an additional render... make sure you change your output path. You don't want to overwrite your original files. *facepalm*

Ouch.

Incidentally - does anyone know if you can use relative paths for c4d renders yet?
  • Rostenbach said: This is a dumb one, but today I learned, when you reopen a file to do an additional render... make sure you change your output path. You don't want to overwrite your original files. *facepalm*

The worst part is when you replace the output path and forget to replace the path for your passes (Buffers) ... You'd click the overwrite without thinking twice because you'd think you have everything figured out :P
  • Today I learned that the flowchart view in After Effects can be very useful indeed for tracking down and fixing those annoying "missing effect" errors.. Makes me wish for a proper node interface in addition to the timeline. Much easier to organise projects with a schematic!
  • @Zickar That's actually exactly what I did... replaced my buffers, AO and spec passes. I was perturbed.
  • Today I Learned that falloffs are the way to go to create realistic lightings and emphasize on objects .. I didn't really use falloffs before
  • Today I learned that the particle system in UDK is extremely fun to use. Actually, everything about UDK is fun. Except for the UV's. EVIL!
  • odd_enough said: Today I learned that the particle system in UDK is extremely fun to use. Actually, everything about UDK is fun. Except for the UV's. EVIL!

Unreal or UDK ? I hear a lot of good things about UDK , the stuff done with it is great but I feel Unity seems more coherent with C4D , I say that and I'm not experienced in any of this , I just messed around with them a bit and wish to learn one of them one day
  • Unreal. I haven't messed with Unity at all, but I might end up doing so at some point if we ever want to implement our projects for browser-based stuff. 
  • Today I finally figured out what soft filter does :p ... No really I did.

Honestly...
  • Today I learned that I make Cool Hand Luke look like a communications expert, because people continually misinterpreted/misunderstood everything I said. Just one of those days...
  • ninetwotwo said: Today I finally figured out what soft filter does :p ... No really I did.

Honestly.
    What is soft filter ? in what software is that ?
  • @Zickar It's a post effect in c4d to emulate a soft camera focus to help blend objects. Why do this in c4d versus a compositing program? To save time. I dropped the AA settings according to the object with render tags and put a soft filter to soften the edges. It's worth trying in a pinch. I would like to experiment more with it. Ultimately, I live by only time cures renders and hangovers, not remedies.
  • @ninetwotwo ..I'd love to know what you are talking about cause it seems a lot of fun but I haven't even glimpsed it inside Cinema 4D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter