Paying for training..
  • I've been trying to learn more cinema4D for a while now and have become kind of frustrated.. I feel like my rate of learning is not as fast as I would like due to an already busy schedule. 

I've learned plenty from the manuals/websites/messing/ but the randomness of this method of learning is spotty as I'm only really learning what I stumble upon most. For example If you asked me to do something with mograph cloners then no problem, but there are plenty of basic bits that I don't know..

To that end I'm considering paying for some online training to hopefully do a more thorough job of teaching me. Anybody do this? Think it's worth the money?

I'm looking at cmivfx.com or fxphd.com at the moment..

• In my experience, FXPHD is above and beyond a ton better.  I love their teachers, especially Tim Clapham, just tons of info.  At CMIVFX, I found a lot of it was very hard to follow.  Nice thing about FXPHD is the community and also the other complimentary courses you can take to help you become a more rounded designer.  Sure the price tag is hefty, but it's one of the best sources of learning out there, IMO
  • James - if you have the readies I would go for a 1to1 session with a guy called Matthew O'Neill (aka Mash on CGtalk); he also runs a site called 3DFluff.com. well worth the outlay, he's very experienced with the software and very personable to boot. Failing that, FXPHD is gold.
  • I started with Lynda and then moved on to online tutorials and recently a new boss came in he has a huge library of training for Cinema 4D .. I've watched Mograph 6 by CMIFVX and I was hugely dissapointed . It really hardly brushed the surface and was mainly about suff I already knew .. nothing advanced .
    It really depends on how comfortable with C4D you are and what you want to learn but I think online tutorials can really help you ... Robert Leger is a great resources , he recently started a very very informative series of Xpresso tutorials , Chris Shmidt released a series of tutorials too on the Chicago 4D channel on Vimeo and were featured on GSG and covered a wide array of Cinema 4D topics [I didn't get to watch them] and also someone named Simon Holmedal was featured on GSG and has tutorials on vimeo no longer than 5 or 6 minutes teaching a lot of cool tricks and workflows ... I've learned al ot just these few weeks watching these and I suggest you give them a look
  • thanks @Zickar, I'll check the Shmidt ones out I think.. 
  • Cool, thanks for the info guys.
    Think I'm gonna work out where I think my weak points are, set myself a few days for each subject and then try and find out for them firstly using free resources and if I don't have any luck with that then I'm going to go for FXPHD.. 

Will also check out Chris Shmidt, Robert Leger and Simon Holmedal..
    Think the 1 on 1 is a bit out of range right now but I'll keep him in mind if I need any intensive training.

Also actually read the manual, which somehow I hadn't done.. Was really helpful in clearing up some of the fundamentals that were a bit murky!
  • JamesDohertyEsq said:
    Also actually read the manual, which somehow I hadn't done.. Was really helpful in clearing up some of the fundamentals that were a bit murky!

I was thinking about reading the manual myself .. Page by page , one page at a atime and one concept at a time because so many little thing go unnoticed , for example the step effector and the matrix and tracer objects , I just learned about them last week and now I can't live without them .
  • I can't recommend FXPHD enough. It's a bit more pricey than other tutorial sites at $330/term (3 courses + Background Fundamentals), but the screen casts and forums are top notch, and the university paradigm seems to really fit. Ie, you know that C4D202 is more advanced than C4D103, etc.

When I was starting in C4D I tried just using tutorial sites, then tried out Lynda (back during 10.5). It was really frustrating. The FXPHD courses walked me through the interface and delved into more depth for topics that required it. A new term is starting up tomorrow, and you get the first two weeks of all the course free to decide which ones you want to take.

Oh, and you get to keep all the screen casts for later reference, too. Which is another plus.
  • Currently i am looking into Unity3D. This is quite fun and addicting.
    Design3.com is a pretty good source for that. Also for mobile development (iOS).
    They also have a huge collection of Maya, 3ds Max & ... tutorials + project files. (no C4D)
    It only costs 19.95$ per month.
  • @RisingPixels
    Did you try their website ? I started learning there , got through the first videos then had to stop because I was a bit busy ... They have a great site
  • Currently using Digital Tutors for Maya training (hard to turn down almost 5,000 videos for it), and Eat3D for UDK training. Both have been very high quality tutorials, and well worth the money.
  • In my experience, sometimes sites get by with just that, quantity of tutorials.  Usually the content is poor or the presenter is a horrible teacher.
  • eyedesyn said: In my experience, sometimes sites get by with just that, quantity of tutorials.  Usually the content is poor or the presenter is a horrible teacher.

So far I've used the ZClassroom for Zbrush tuts , the unity site and blender . The blender site was so detailed it ended up being boring , the unity one was actually good but so far the most enjoyable was ZClassroom , basically I appreciate 5 min tuts that get you fammiliar to the software and when you are comfortable you can move into lengthy indepth tutorials . I think a lot of websites have become very useful resources lately

• I would agree FXPHD is probably the best out there. Really great community and best bang for your buck. We have subscriptions at work for Digital Tutors and Lynda and while it's aimed more towards beginners, you can always pick up a few tricks here and there. Even if you want to learn something else such as webdev, you also have access to that material.

I hate to say it but I can't recommend CMIVFX. First, their so called "ultimate video player" is terrible and the quality of their material is not very good. I think they put too much effort into fighting piracy as opposed to putting it into the quality of the videos. What did it for me was the overdubbed Houdini video. Really bad and no mention of it on their product page. I don't want to say all their videos are bad; maybe I just had bad luck with the ones I chose.
  • Hopefully this will bump this up a bit and I'm not talking to myself here..

Thinking of going in with a colleague on fxPHD training, bit cheeky I know but both of us are borderline on affording it.. anybody who used it know would this be possible or is it ip checked/restricted/just wouldn't work?

• JamesDohertyEsq said: Hopefully this will bump this up a bit and I'm not talking to myself here..

Thinking of going in with a colleague on fxPHD training, bit cheeky I know but both of us are borderline on affording it.. anybody who used it know would this be possible or is it ip checked/restricted/just wouldn't work?

@JamesDohertyEsq This is borderline against the Code of Conduct, but yes, you can share files. While you should each get your own account, technically nothing is stopping you from giving the videos/project files to each other (legally might be another matter). But I don't believe you can each be downloading the file under the same account. However, only one of you will have access to the forums, which is a great resource.

If you both can scrounge it up, I'd highly recommend each getting an account (you also won't be restricted to each other's class choices). In the US, this could be a tax-deductible expense. Not sure what the situation is on the other side of the pond.
  • @JamesDohertyEsq If you and your colleague are at the same employer, or can get one more person to join you, FXPHD does offer discounts for groups of 3 or more or for facilities.
  • Cool, thanks for the info.. Have emailed them about getting a multi-user license, seems like it would be worth it seeing as I've never heard a negative word said about them..

Think we're looking into all of our studio getting it now if we can get a good 7 user license.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter