Monday Animation
  • This is a cross-post between here and mograph and it all started with a tweet by @kenbarroll that said "My goal: Produce
    a piece film/animation every week and release it on monday. I give
    permission to slap me if I slip."

Nick Campbell had talked about this many times (Most recently I think in his Creative Gap Presentation)

It seems to have been done before but this is my take on it and anyone who wants to join in is welcome

Every Monday finish an animation and post it

This is mine for the week : http://www.vimeo.com/21336149

• It's a great way to practice new techniques and plugins, or spend time experimenting with elements from a previous project.
    Your first render looks good, maybe you could add some animation into the objects as well as the camera fly-through to give it more life, a few choice keyframes would do it.
    All the best with your challenge @Zickar
  • That's similar to what I tried to do awhile ago. My idea was to try to speed up my creation process by limiting myself to 1 hour and see how much I can get done. Granted, I only did this once, as I found myself way too busy and forgot to keep at it.

I'm sure I could accomplish much more in an hour now than I did then: http://www.vimeo.com/14644536

• Yeah its all about meeting deadlines for me and getting things done for practice and experimentation reasons .. and its all about coming up with ideas and actually implementing them , I think I will take my first animation a bit further next time and maybe longer with more animation and eventually I hope to do some character rigging and animation inside this scene because its something I want to learn
    @odd_enough it seemed to cut at the end ! why ? it looked very interesting , specially the texture of the whole animation . it looks brilliant but the cut at the end is disturbing
  • Again, I limited myself to exactly 1 hour. I also wanted to continue it, but I had to keep the cutoff point for consistency and control in the "experiment".
  • This is actually something I've been wanting to do as well, to make sure I'm keeping myself motivated. Whenever I try, I end up slipping, and claim it's because I'm too busy. But If I find one hour a day, I'm sure I could have something every week, and I think it's time to try it again.  Also, Jordan, you bonus points for the music. Oh, and I forgot what the name of that band you used in the Mudbrick reel was..
  • The music in the reel was The Black Angels - Black Grease (very similar name and sound to The Black Keys). Actually that's even stranger. I forgot The Black Keys has a song named Black Mud. O_o
  • great idea @Zickar and @odd_enough, might try to work this into my weekly routine. Sunday evenings anyone?
  • Sunday evenings should work for me!
  • This is a great idea. We could start a thread here every week and everyone could post their weekly videos if they have them. I'm writing up a blog post about this now. Maybe we would even feature some of the videos on the blog as well.
  • I have no problem with Sunday evenings , its the end of the week and one can experiment a bit because it was a bit tough doing this on monday since I had a lot of work
    I don't think there's need for a seperate thread though , just one continuos thread ...
    the feature is a great thing , maybe create a vimeo channel for the featured videos kinda like Nick does for GSG's 5 sec project
  • This is a great idea, think I'll get involved too.. Mine will be basically attempting to put all the bits and bobs I've picked up in c4d into action..
  • I Finished this late at night . I think I'll stick to Monday .
    In this project I tried to apply recent techniques in dynamic bodies and how you can manipulate them using a combination of follow animation and using other planes and objects to affect their flow. I also applied that FPB tip Mike "The Monkey" gave at the NAB2010 . Plus some lighting and a speedy workflow

• Been thinking about doing something like this myself for a while, so I'm def up for it. Mini projects are a great way to learn new things and practice.. hopefully I'll have an upload soon!
  • The most important think is just to upload it and get done with it , move it from your head to your screen because its how you can make it look better . The last upload I did is far from great animation wise but I have succeded in most what I set to experiment with . More people should join in because this will really help us as individuals and as a community
  • A 1-hour project based on a song by Ginormous called 'Moon Canyon Welcomes You'. An After Effects only project using no third party plugins. Rendered at 15fps.

• You have succeeded in breaking its static nature with your editing , really impressive edit , although not much but the timing was very good . Other than that I didn't like the end , it looked very out of place (The shine colors) at the end . Maybe it was because you had to finish it but it looked a bit inappropriate . Also good to see you work on longer pieces

I will start working on my piece tonight and probably post it tommorow . I will do something based on pBlurb I learned about yesterday :D , Should be interesting , I need music though ! Any source for good music ?
  • @Zickar Moby very generously supplies a load of royalty free music on his site here http://www.mobygratis.com/film-music.html
  • @Zickar I agree the ending is weird, but I was going for something fundamentally different than what I was expecting. My first idea looked worse, so I just turbulent displaced it for the jitters and then radial blurred the crap out of it. 

I expect that you'll see a lot of inappropriate endings to my 1-hour projects mainly because I don't polish them. 1 hour is 1 hour :)

As for free music, Pretty Lights is free, most of Diego Bernel's music is free.. wow, two of the other bands I was going to suggest are no longer free.

• odd_enough said:

As for free music, Pretty Lights is free, most of Diego Bernel's music is free.. wow, two of the other bands I was going to suggest are no longer free.

Be careful. "Free" and "Royalty Free" are two different things. Just because you don't have to pay for the tracks doesn't mean they're not copyrighted. I was gong to start a thread asking about music use in personal projects & reels. I do the same thing, just putting some music I like under reels & breakdowns, but I'm trying to move more towards the licensed/royalty free route.
  • I just opened up a new category called "Show & Tell." Let's start a weekly Motion Monday post there. 
  • My Monday animation , fell a bit late this week , It finished today afternoon :( Next week I'll start earlier I hope

• Nice particles and lighting! Also nice use of caustics. How long did that take to render?

• odd_enough said: Nice particles and lighting! Also nice use of caustics. How long did that take to render?

No Caustics :P , Just some volumetric lighting :D
    I didn't use Ambient Occlusion either because I found out it was slowing the render a lot , and I didn't use GI either ... The renders were averaging out at about 2 mins each at 720x576 . I did this at work :P
    I added a glow , maybe this was what created the caustics :D
  • Caustics being the reflection/refraction on the spheres (the distortion of the materials transparency channel). 

Caustics by itself isn't just the crazy bounced light patterns on a surface but also the reflection and refraction of light on, through, and over an uneven surface.

Either way, creative stuff :)

• odd_enough said:

Caustics being the reflection/refraction on the spheres (the distortion of the materials transparency channel). 

Caustics by itself isn't just the crazy bounced light patterns on a surface but also the reflection and refraction of light on, through, and over an uneven surface.

Either way, creative stuff :)

I knew what caustics is although when you put it that way it makes more sense why there was an impression of Caustics because there was in fact a lot of refractions I guess and I messed around with Absorption Color settings a bit and the texture itself was distorted . And the Volumetric lights and lens effects were all toned in variations of purple so it will create an interesting mood

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter