Show Off Your Current WIP
  • Alright everyone.. I thought I'd kick off a fun new thread just to see what everyone is working on.  Can be anything... After Effects, Cinema, Photoshop, Illustrator... or a scan of rough sketches you're working on.  The important thing is to show it off! 

So here's mine.  It's a mock end tag for a client proposal that I'll be having tomorrow.  Most of the time went into the logo recreation in AE.  I debated doing it in C4D as it would have really pushed me... but knowing they want to keep expenses low, AE was more efficient.  So maybe next time around or if I get some downtime I'll see what I can do. 

If the project goes through - to further enhance this end tag, I plan on buying some plexiglass, setting it up at an angle over chroma-green and shooting running water going down it.  To make the water appear as its bending  around the logo, I'm going to be hunting for an oval object... debating if I should just find a Toyota hood emblem.  Again, if this were in C4D I could approach it a totally different way but I look forward to the challenge of selling that composite.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the League has up their sleeves!!!
    Attachments
    CloisterEndTag.jpg 102K
  • Looks nice and clean, despite what the text says :)
  • Don't you love the irony?  ;)
  • This is what I'm working on today, a very early stage of a title sequence for the BBC, can't say much about it at this stage (sshhh), but I'm making it in C4D / AE and it's part of a much larger graphics package. Inspired by the titles on the movie 'Into The Wild' the characters/people/features are all rotoscoped from archive footage from 1900 onwards...

Attachments
    RHwip0219.jpg 180K
  • Did that image insert ok? I'll try again...

Attachments
    RHwip0219.jpg 180K
  • I'm working on an explainer video for a sports prediction game I'm launching on Facebook soon (still in beta at the moment). It's about 1:30 long with lots of 3D, so it's taking quite a bit of time to make. Will hopefully be wrapping it up over the course of the next week. It's purpose is to quickly run players through everything they need to know in order to play, and to make the game look fun to play. I didn't want to go with a cliche sports graphic look, so I instead opted for something a little more playful and inviting. Let me know what you think!

Attachments
    demovid1.jpg 102K
    demovid2.jpg 223K
    demovid3.jpg 223K
    demovid4.jpg 103K
    demovid5.jpg 87K
  • Crap. Just realized you guys'll have to download the last 4 images unless I post them inline. Inline it is. Let me know if it's annoying having a post this large and I'll delete some. New member jitters!

imageimageimageimage

Attachments
    demovid2.jpg 223K
    demovid3.jpg 223K
    demovid4.jpg 103K
    demovid5.jpg 87K
  • @dazpix looking solid!  can't wait to see more! very curious to see the movement on that. It reminds me of something I just wrapped up in 2D not too long ago. 

@beau that looks great.  between you and dazpix, my C4D skills are a bit weak... I would find it very daunting to taking on a 1:30 explainer video in 3D.  Though you certainly made the right choice.  Visuals look stunning.  Very much looking forward to seeing the final product. 

This will unfortunately not see daylight because the producers decided to go in a different direction , this w as supposed to be my first character animation but that will have to wait
  • Wow amazing work everyone!   I'm currently working on a personal project that I've been wanting to work on for awhile and a lil sumthin sumthin for the Motion League.  Pretty much stuff that gets my modeling chops up and to try out a few techniques i've learned in tutorials lately.

Here's what I got to show so far...
    imageimage

Attachments
    Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 10.32.27 AM.png 138K
    Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 5.17.51 PM.png 187K
  • I absolutely love lowpoly animations. Something about it is really neat. Interested in seeing how it turns out. 

Sorry your animation was cut short there, @Zickar. I've had that happen to me when freelancing. Was working on 3D work for a Sundance channel rebrand pitch when it went in another direction. Not fun.

Holy crap, @beau. That is looking great! Love the folding stadium and the color palette :)

• @beau Would love to see how you folded everything, Ive been wanting to do a pop-up book type animation for awhile now!  got to get my butt in gear to do it!
  • @zickar guess we've all been there. I once spent 3 months doing 20 odd vfxshots, compositing greenscreen footage into old 1950's movies for a big one off ITV show airing on boxing day, the guy presenting got seriously ill so they delayed it and it's still sitting on the shelf 5 years on...depressing.

@beau agreed with above, that folding looks great, I usually cheat it in AE, so much to learn in C4D it's nuts.

@eyedesyn looking forward to seeing how your bird animates, looks great
  • @eyedesyn Loving the low-poly look of that bird. Is it rigged or are you going to cheat the wing movement?
  • @beau not rigged, it's a hummingbird so the wings are going to be a big blur anyways so didnt need to rig!
  • dazpix said:
    @zickar guess we've all been there. I once spent 3 months doing 20 odd vfxshots, compositing greenscreen footage into old 1950's movies for a big one off ITV show airing on boxing day, the guy presenting got seriously ill so they delayed it and it's still sitting on the shelf 5 years on...depressing.
    Yeah it kinda sucks , specially when it happens on the last minute and you are expected to come up with something in a matter of days but I'm over it and It didn't affect me now as these things did in the past

• @eyedesign Really love the low poly humming bird design. Definitely looking forward to seeing it in motion! 

I'm not too sure how I feel about the Motion League shot you posted. My favorite aspect of the logo is the subtle negative space created between the shapes and I feel that creating this in 3D would take away from the success of the design. Maybe if the logo was created by different planes coming together in 3D it could help to preserve the negative space created in the logo. But like I said its hard to get a good read at this point. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. 
  • Below is a screen shot of an experimental 3D piece I finished last semester. Im currently editing it using a different audio tack down to a 5-10 second piece for my reel. You can view the original here, link

Attachments
    Screen shot 2011-03-19 at 3.45.47 PM.png 406K
  • @Novus4d I like the simplicity of the experimental piece you had there, the audio that's currently there is soothing, matches the visuals.
  • @Rostenbach Thanks, I am glad you liked it. The direction I went with that piece was more towards something that would be part of a gallery show etc. The way I built the project it could loop as long as wanted it too (of course minus the intro and outro). Overall I am happy with how it turned out but in its current state it is a bit slow for a reel. Right now I am just experimenting with different options to see how I can use a segment of it in my reel. 
  • Diggin' all the frames guys. Here are some styleframes for an upcoming Nordstrom's :30. imageimageimage
    Attachments
    Nordstrom_StyleBoard1.jpg 360K
    Nordstrom_StyleBoard2.jpg 428K
    Nordstrom_StyleBoard3.jpg 372K

• JohnCamalick said: Diggin' all the frames guys. Here are some styleframes for an upcoming Nordstrom's :30.
    Looks like Juno's opening sequence but could use some work on the model , maybe a better way of incorporating her in the work ... I remember that in that sequence Juno looked like it was run through some cartoonizing filter ... Maybe you could mess with the levels or somnething !!
  • Yeah with Juno, I believe the actual process was that they took the green screen footage and keyed her out, printed her out frame by frame, cut each frame out of the paper and then rescanned it back in.  So what looked like a filter or an effect was actually a clever use of generation loss.

Styleboards look nice though!  If you're looking to make them feel part of the scene, look into doing maybe a light wrap of a precomped background image.  Let some of the colors in the scene play off their hair and shoulders some.
  • Maybe just adding a subtle outline around the models?  or maybe just outlines around the outfits their wearing, of course all this would definitely add some time.  Another idea, again, time intensive, would be to have the elements sometimes overlap the model and when it does, the object reveals a cartoon version of the model where it matches the look of the other elements.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. The talent's are being shot on a white cyc and production time is limited (as always). I'td be rad to do the juno effect, but for now we're going to focus on hand drawn elements that will play off of the script.

Holler.
  • JohnCamalick said: Thanks for the feedback guys. The talent's are being shot on a white cyc and production time is limited (as always). I'td be rad to do the juno effect, but for now we're going to focus on hand drawn elements that will play off of the script.

Holler.

One more thing , The first shot looks weird , the white between her legs seems not as bright as the rest and the shadow between her legs is giving away the compositing work ... Maybe this doesn't show in motion . Adding just the most subtle of textures might help too

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter