Grids/guides
  • Guys -

Does anyone use a grid when laying out things like supers/full-frame graphics/DVD menus? I always end up hacking them together myself and even though I'm halfway through Raster Systeme, they always end up being hidden or deleted.

I was just wondering if anyone even bothered with them any more; regardless of the answer I'm thinking it would make for interesting discussion as a blog article.
  • I would strongly recommend using a grid system whenever possible. It is an industry standard when it comes to print design and there is no reason it shouldn't be when it comes to motion or any other digital medium. Little things like objects lining up cleanly on a hang-line are the subtle details that take a project from being good to great. 
  • Well that's a fairly unambiguous answer! Do you have any links to examples of grids I could reference in the article; obviously I've got my own that I've used before (generally DVD menus).

Also - does anyone use a grid when animating/laying out in a 3D programme? I guess you'd just use splines..

Cheers,
    Dan
  • There is this plugin for C4D, RulerTools, but I haven't used it yet. Looks like it could be worthwhile though.
  • @odd_enough Nice, thanks for the heads up. 
  • I use various TV and film based grids and guides, I have jpegs if you want them, I usually just stick em on top with a blending mode as a guide layer, but these are generally TV station requirements for legal reasons or for those grannies with B&W 12" 4x3 tellies from 1967, rather than actual design beneficial grids. This is interesting though by Chiny http://hypoly.com/downloads/golden-ratio.html and has come in useful before. Also the rule of Thirds of course http://www.stocom.com/basic_lighting/Basic%20Lighting%20for%20Film%20and%20Video%20III.pdf
    and composition using triangles.
  • I dont feel that there is one end all be all grid. Depending on the elements at hand I would suggest drawing up some thumbnails of different grid systems, whether it be 4, 3 or hell 10 columns and using some tracing paper over them to draw some rough sketches to see what is working the best and why. One trick that I have used with good results is if you have an even number of columns use an odd number of hang-lines and vice versa. I learned this from one of my design instructors and im not sure where it comes from but it can help generate some nice results.

Also, if you need some help generating the grid systems check out this site, Grid System Generator. Its pretty convenient and there are a lot of options for making custom grids and downloading them directly. 
  • here comes a dumb question...

whats a hang line?

the term is too ambiguous for google to be any use. 
  • From what I have been taught a hang line is a horizontal line that cuts through the grid system. In many cases in layout design they are used on the grid system as a point to either start or end an object, whether it be a block of text or photo. Below is an image of a photo dominant and type dominant spread that use the same grid and hang lines. The idea is that using your hang lines across multiple spreads will help give a piece continuity. The hang lines are represented by the blue guides.

• you're a gentleman and a scholar. thanks.
  • Cool, didn't know it was called a hangline.

I end up throwing a grid on plenty, usually fairly rudimental ones through and as I need them.

e.g. with my rulers set on % split into 3or4 columns etc, though I generally just do imagine the gutter width rather than add in double the amount of guides. And use layer shapes as temporary grids if it's at an angle or anything..
  • Excellent stuff! 

Can anyone post an example of a grid they've used for motion?

• Here's one I think I got from 960.gs (web design grid) but since it's 960px wide, it's pretty useful ... 
    Attachments
    960gs.png 39K
  • @BranDJ thanks for that!

Looks like it might be time to finally post an article..
  • OK then here's the article - anyone care to proof it/ tear it up?

• @dan_hin link is dead by the looks...
  • hah, that would explain the lack of comments then..

I think it's viewable by wp admin only, probably time for a new thread...
  • Sorry Dan, yeah I did read it, but didn't have the time to comment. It's a good article on guide/gridline usage. And I like that we've been keeping up with providing forum user comments included in the articles.
  • Glad you like it @odd_enough!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter