Timeline for Motion League Launch?
  • Would really like to get some more blog posts from us and any contributions any of the beta testers would like to help us out with (Such as the @dazpix business of design articles).  We're here to help you, so if that's posting an article on here that links to your blog to drive more traffic, etc, we all help eachother out.

Quite frankly I'm very anxious to break this thing out of the cage and let it cause havoc on the webernets, so let's figure out anfd finalize what more we'd like to tweak and add to the site so we can really break this thing out and start kicking ass for the good of mograph!
  • I'm really with you here, EJ! I'm getting quite anxious, and can't wait to launch. I do think linking in content from other sources as kinda a "guest spot" or something of this like is not a bad idea. That would certainly help build our content base. So, yeah, let's see what we have left!
  • Im sure that others would be willing to re hack their existing blog material to incorporate into here. I would be happy to split some articles up and make them short n sweet bits of info to be released at regular intervals. This would maybe encourage people to subscribe to your blog feed, as well as encourage comments and readers own pearls of wisdom for specific topics. As far as driving traffic back, we (contributors) could just put a line and link at the bottom of an article/tut/tip.
    Also, I think many up and coming mographers would like to see a project taken from concept to completion, showing workflow, and the whole process including client feedback etc etc. Like a fly on the wall doco of a project.
    What do you guys think?
  • Definitely man, if anyone is willing to contribute things they've already posted on their blog but would also like to have a discussion started here too, or even expound upon an idea you had in the past that you'd like to rehash here, definitely is welcome.
    I like the idea of the concept to completion of someones work.  Perhaps beeple or even one of us could do something like that, of course it should be a project that is interesting to a bunch of people, no one cares about concept -> completion of a simple logo animation, but we can for sure get some of those aspects on the site dealing with client feedback, etc.  A lot of the business of design doesn't focus on those kind of areas, after all, the stuff we're designing is usually selling something for someone else.
  • @dazpix

Absolutely. I had been thinking of doing something similar for the animation project I'm making for the League.. err well, provided I ever have the time to finish it. My free time is close to zero, but I hate having unfinished projects. When I do get it done and if there is enough interest for tutorials/breakdowns, I'll gladly do some for it. 

• Rather than a breakdown of a project once its completed, I'm thinking almost like a TV factual ent/doc show where the project is actually being done over some weeks and every other day for example there is an update as to what is being done, what's completed, what's changed etc.
    So, day1 - the conversation & brief, day3 how the brief has been interpreted etc. It might get a following, almost like an online tv show, something a bit more immersive than a breakdown. Am I making sense? I don't think the project itself even has to be particularly cool, it's more to let observers see from the outside in about the process, there are an awful lot of people on these sites who dont actually do it for a living but want to. The media could be all sorts, stills, videos, phone conversations (client approved) etc.
    Of course this would all take some serious effort. I'm rambling now.....
    anyway, if you want some articles chopped up and sent to you for inclusion let me know.
  • Like a reality show but about designers and the process?  That would be bad ass, unfortunately my job doesn't have the usual process most production houses have, so I wouldn't be a good guinea pig for this.

I know Jordan and Matt work at production houses with client calls and whatnot
  • @dazpix - sounds like an amazing idea, I think that would really set us apart from other sites. That's a lot of commitment obviously and I think we need to be careful that it's sustainable; do we have permission from the client (if applicable), do we actually have the time to go through with the idea from start to finish.

The only reason I raise those points is that I vividly remember Keyframers which has apparently bitten the dust. I was really into the idea of project breakdowns and some higher-level discussion, and I was actually very disappointed when it fell through, despite the involvement of some fairly high profile mograph heads.

So I suppose my main point is YES! do it; but let's remain realistic. It's important to have something cool that will get people involved, but even more important that we can actually deliver against expectations.

Corporate/management speak over... for now ;)
  • I don't mind blogging , Its just I'm not sure how my work will level up because I'm not that experienced as a blogger .. Maybe I can research and work on an assigned topic if you ever needed help
  • Zickar said: I don't mind blogging , Its just I'm not sure how my work will level up because I'm not that experienced as a blogger .. Maybe I can research and work on an assigned topic if you ever needed help

That blog post I did on this site is the first blog post I've ever written so no excuses! :)
  • @dazpix definitely a cool idea.  I'd be interested to possibly be involved.. though @eyedesyn was close.. Jordan works at a post house with probably a lot more of the concept to completion... I run a two man outfit that has only had two concept to completion jobs to date.. a lot of the time we're just hired guns... though, even still.. might be cool to do..

I'd be willing to do something like this for some upcoming projects though after this tv show slows down at the end of April.
  • @mdsienzant I should probably clarify that MudBrick technically isn't a post house. MudBrick primarily focuses on web design, mobile apps and general application, and I was brought on to expand their skillset. So I'm really the only VFX/3D/Motion designer they have. I'm a really poor example here, I have no prior history with production houses, and my project workflow is suspect. :P 
  • @odd_enough, I was wondering why their reel was so heavily involved in web design.  Though, that's still bad ass that you're there to expand the company.  Hrm... very interesting scenario we have here. 

Again, I'd be willing to try and document or do status updates with things if I have client approval.  I would do it with this one client if we're able to land them.. but the funny part is that the scripts we're pitching are so minimally mograph that its not even funny.  There's on section on the end tag that could be done in 3D, but instead I'm going to use my compositing tricky to do a live shot over green and then piece it together from there.  Though, if people were interested in hearing how things are going from the concept, presentation, shooting logistics, shooting to post.. I'd do it for this one.. but its not very mography.  That's the only catch.

If other things are coming down the pipe (which they should be soon), I'll jump on it.  There's one job that I know "should be" happening where I'll get basic storyboards from an agency and then it's running with it from there and giving everything life.
  • I do most of my fun work for freelance and have a couple projects that I wouldn't mind sharing, the one is a music video I did last year and one is a project I'm just wrapping up on, nothing very groundbreaking but I could offer to show at least lessons learned and working with clients.
  • I've been boiling down a tutorial that I would be happy to produce & share here. It is more geared towards broadcast television editors who need to use After Effects at breakneck speed with varying sources etc. (Basically, It's how to become the "fastest gun in the west" in your newsroom)

In my line of work, seconds count. I'd share my render tricks, favorite scripts, time saving methods etc. & everything else I've learned from the past 15 years. 

Stay Human
    JT
  • joetombarello said: I've been boiling down a tutorial that I would be happy to produce & share here. It is more geared towards broadcast television editors who need to use After Effects at breakneck speed with varying sources etc. (Basically, It's how to become the "fastest gun in the west" in your newsroom)

In my line of work, seconds count. I'd share my render tricks, favorite scripts, time saving methods etc. & everything else I've learned from the past 15 years. 

Stay Human
    JT

Joe-  Sounds like a GREAT idea, after all there are tons of designers/editors working at broadcast places that I think are left by the wayside and their voices aren't heard very much, I mean...aside from a few people I know, I all know people who work at post-houses and freelance.  I encourage you to share your knowledge and I'd definitely like to compare notes as I'm in the same boat in having to sometimes work the "Fast food industry" of graphic design
  • @joetombarello I agree with EJ, I'd love to have that insight. Myself, I do freelance, and most folks I know do that or work at post-houses. I'd love to have a little more insight to the broadcast side of things. Thanks much!
  • @joetombarello If you write that up, we'd be happy to post that on your behalf. 
  • Well alright!  Looks like I've got some work to do then. :)
  • My new job will have much more opportunity to blog about the work I do.  Right now I can't say much about what I do since it's for internal (corporate shit).  Sound fun though.  I love reading about people's process/workflow/design decisions, etc.
  • I was trying to log in at a friend's laptop , he has IE7 andbutton was not working . I click on it , the page looks to be loading something but then it does nothing , and the button doesn't appear correctly ... Maybe you should check the site out against IE7

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter