What's your After Effects layout? [WARNING: LARGE IMAGES IN THREAD]
  • I'm always curious about how other people work. Screen layouts are something so personal and often telling about how someone works. So let's see them!

At work, I'm on a single 24" display, so I have to make the most of my limited space. I'll go through top-bottom, left-right:
    • Project/Effects
    • Timeline
    • Comp/Layer/Flow Chart/Footage/Render Queue/BG Renderer
    • Info/Preview/Audio
    • Align
    • Character/Paragraph
    • Swatch You Want
    • Get-Shit-Done
    • Ease and Wizz
    I do a lot of type work in AE, so the character and paragraph panels always have to be there. Swatch You Want is one of those scripts I find myself using a lot. I have swatches set up for particular clients that I can pull in and immediately get the correct colors according to their brand and style guides. Get-Shit-Done is a great script that wraps common multi-step tasks into four dropdown menus. And Ease and wizz is just one of those scripts that makes tweaking animation so much easier. And of course, BG Renderer is an indispensable script. It's great to be able to render in the background and keep working in AE.
    Attachments
    AE-Layout.jpg 70K
  • I have a dual monitor display so I have my main comp window and my Project/effects on the left monitor with my timeline and font/audio/etc windows on the right monitor.  Works great!  Could never go back to using just 1 monitor, call me spoiled. ;)
    I used to have dual displays too EJ, so I understand. Now, like Paul, I'm on a single 24". Also, oddly enough, my layout is pretty similar to yours, Paul. Mine:
    • Project
    • Timeline
    • Effects & Presets
    • Composition
    • Effect Controls/Tracker
    • Character/Paragraph
    • Align
    • Smoother
    • Ease and Wizz
    Ease and Wizz is something I found not too long ago, but since finding it, it's indispensable. Type palettes are a must have for me.
    Attachments
    Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 2.03.14 PM.png 310K
  • I'll post a screengrab when I get a chance from work, I flit between a dual monitor setup and a sad little single monitor setup, soon to be rectified...
  • Like EJ, I'm rocking the dual monitor set up - 2 x19"s but I'd like to upgrade for a bit more space soon.  When I do in-house freelance work, most of the places I work at are single Cinema Displays and it completely messes with me.

Enjoy the creepy guy whist I go through from top to bottom / left to right:
    • Project / Effects Controls
    • Paragraph / Character
    • Effects & Presets
    • Comp / Layer / Footage / Render Queue
    • Timeline
    • Info / Audio
    • Preview   [Most importantly set to from Current Time]
    • Mocha Import / o3_Add New (little shout out for Jordan)
    • Align
     Ease and Wizz is incredibly helpful but I don't find myself using it a bunch.  Instead I have a folder of random expressions that I use and will often just open up those text documents and bring them in.  I know there are scripts for expression launchers, but I dunno.. I'm set in my ways so I'll launch them from the Window menu.

Usually I'm very anal about my organization.  Ignore my timeline in this case where, when I get one solid cut piece of video that I use Magnum the Edit Detector  for and go on my merry way saying screw it .  I am curious how everyone structures their project bin as well.  As you can see I keep a lot of stuff numerical so I know where they fall. 

Attachments
    AE_WorkSpace.jpg 1M
  • I'm on dual monitors at home (see attached), and slightly smaller dual monitors at work. 

I'm testing ft-Toolbar where it is at the moment (on right hand side beneath second comp viewer that I use for top/side views), but to be honest, I haven't been using it just yet so I might remove it. Same for Zorro The Layer Tagger. The only real script I use constantly is BG Renderer. 

My project bin setup (and freelance directory structure) is a hybrid from DK Seattle & Blank (which is run by two former DK CD's). I just started it this year, I used to have a much simpler, non numeric setup before - much nicer now.
    Attachments
    robmonstro_aelayout0309.png 147K
  • Does no-one use AME then? I see lots of BG renderer panels..
  • I rarely, if ever, do compressions straight out of AE. It's almost always lossless or image sequences. I feel like AME wouldn't provide much benefit straight out of AE. Do you use it a lot?
  • Yes, yes I do since the upgrade from CS3 to 5 - it's a bit of a revelation for me. Removes the need to bgRender, and of course the WMV (yes we still use it...a lot) and H264 options don't crash AE like they used to. 

I just queue up a load of comps in AME running as a standalone app and render when ready. It has a watch folder option and delay queue too which is really handy.
  • I don't really have many scripts on my layout. All I really use to any great extent is the Get Shit Done (which I discovered after I made a similar script on my own) and Reposition Anchor Point panels. Though mostly the latter.

This is my home setup. The left window is on my 22" monitor while the right is on my 36" and dedicated to comp viewers. I like being able to work with the entire view in full res. Nothing fancy.  

Attachments
    aeworkspace.jpg 1M
  • I've got two Monitors. I use one for the Comp Viewer and Project and one for Timelines. Also I have to switch the eye (visibility) so it's all the way to the right on each layer. Other than that, pretty standard. Still on CS4 here, but I'm going to upgrade soon ... 
    Attachments
    BDJ_AEP.png 450K
  • Basic AE setup...finally.
    Attachments
    setupAE.PNG 212K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter