City Kit for C4D
  • Just found out one of the places I work for is getting the City Kit. Anyone else planning on getting it? I'm most curious to see if I can take a look at all the Xpresso underneath.
  • For $100, it's a no brainer, for $150, it's gettin a bit expensive, but this could have came in handy for a few of my projects in the past and I'm sure it will pop up again in the future, I like the environment presets also, so it would be useful for any kind of environment aside from city scape.
  • I plan on getting it, if only just to play with it and look at the Xpresso. Definitely very cool.
  • Hoping they spruce up the textures, as of right now that's the only downside.
  • Like with the lightkit, not sure how useful this would be in practice. Surely it's easier to build your own over time (raid old projects) rather than buy into this kit? Also, if anyone's seen Paul Clement's work for a recent Ministry of Sound Promo.... well...  

Having said that, it looks incredibly polished.
  • I've no use of it as of yet either so I'm on the fence. I did purchase the lighting kit though but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

@dan_hin
    That is a great piece - love the breakdown as well. That CityEngine software looks incredible.
  • I got the CityKit and after playing around with it realized that I wouldn't have much use for it, it's only good for wide shots, and I mostly have needs for street level stuff, and the textures on the buildings are non-existant and there are no sidewalks/streets so I was straight up with Nick and told him my deal and got a refund, told him if he ever put out a City Kit Pro with snazzy building textures and street level detail I'm game, but I have no idea if he is ever going to go that route, but he was cool enough about understanding my point of view.
  • The TV I work for have the Lightkit pro and I keep being asked to use it but I find it more challenging to build my own light setups ... Nick has helped me a lot through his tutorials but I like to challenge myself ... If nick can do it so can you
    As for the city kit it is kind of impressive , specially the modeling but TBH I didn't like how it looked from the preview Nick gave on GSG .. Something not looking good about it specially at night
  • Zickar said: The TV I work for have the Lightkit pro and I keep being asked to use it but I find it more challenging to build my own light setups ... Nick has helped me a lot through his tutorials but I like to challenge myself ... If nick can do it so can you
    As for the city kit it is kind of impressive , specially the modeling but TBH I didn't like how it looked from the preview Nick gave on GSG .. Something not looking good about it specially at night

The city kit is awesome for certain projects, if I'm spending over $100, I want something that had a little bit more detail and some street level detail (like having streets to begin with!)  I'd rather shell out a bit more to get a more comprehensive city generator.  That being said, what Nick and his buddy made is pretty awesome with the ease of use, controls, and the lighting.  But as is, I wouldn't use it much.
  • There was a great script for 3D max and its free that generates buildings , not Cities just buildings .. I used it to in one of my projects and its very customizable .. You can change the shape of your buildings in endless ways . Control the anetnas on the rooftops , water towers ,you can choose to add curtains toi your windows or not , you can choose balconies and whether or not they will be extending outside the buildings or stay constrained inside .. You can even control drain pipes and just about everything ... The time I used it was the only time I used 3D max extensively
  • @Zickar - I believe something is in the works for something similar to that for C4D.  I believe it was called CityGen.
  • Yup. And the first version of CityGen (I think it went by the same name and made by the same guy, was an older plug in) I used in my very first C4D project. :) 
  • odd_enough said: Yup. And the first version of CityGen (I think it went by the same name and made by the same guy, was an older plug in) I used in my very first C4D project. :) 

Wasn't available for Macs though, right?
  • No idea, since I don't use a mac :)
  • eyedesyn said: @Zickar - I believe something is in the works for something similar to that for C4D.  I believe it was called CityGen.

I used Citygen and the first version was fine when you had a city in the background but not very good in the close ups .. I heard that they are working on a much more refined version 2 but didn't hear much after that ... Maybe this City kit is here to fell a void because even blender has a very good city generator , and max does ...
  • Yeah, here's the CGSociety thread on the CityGen2 progress: LINK

It seems to have more updates on his Gigapixel tile shader in the later pages, which is really cool in itself.

• conigs said: Just found out one of the places I work for is getting the City Kit. Anyone else planning on getting it? I'm most curious to see if I can take a look at all the Xpresso underneath.

I got it ... its pretty good (not amazing) and it does the job in a pinch. CityGen is still a really good way to go

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter