Motion League Challenges
  • As forum user @Zickar suggested, we're going to start up regular challenges. The goal will be to stretch your skillset under certain constraints. For now, it will simply be for practice and we'll post the submissions and our favorites on the blog. But we're open to suggestions for certain themes or constraints for these challenges. I have an idea for an After Effects challenge and I know there's a few C4D/3D ideas out there.

What would you like to see as a challenge? It could be as simple as a one word theme, or as specific as "100 poly model." 
  • I heard the idea 'single solid' again somewhere recently, I also remember an old discreet logic competition for flame users using only what was built into the system plus one frame of solid white. There were some amazing results, might be good to try that with AE with a 5 or 10sec limit on duration, or perhaps the software is irrelevant and the theme is something font based eg. everyone used the same font however they like in any app they like, but no other footage/source material allowed.
  • @dazpix The "single solid" idea was from me on Twitter. That will be one of the AE challenges for sure. I think it will go back and forth between platform-specific challenges and more abstract concepts. But there will for sure be a ceiling on the runtime of these. I'm also thinking maybe every two weeks we'll cycle out a new one? What do you think?
  • @conigs sounds good to me, maybe every 2 weeks is a tad overkill though?, I suppose it depends how much time peeps have and how much time is spent. Maybe a time limit could also be a challenge like layer tennis.
  • I love the idea of single solid... count me in.
  • I think a one week challenge will be better its harder to forget about it and make sure the challenges are artistic rather than time consuming . For example we can be asked to just light up a scene for one challenge . We can try and texture another scene for a challenge . We can try and create something beautiful with nothing but lights or maybe Sweeps and so on . I think some technical challenges might be good too . Trying to wrap your head around a problem . When I said Challenges I had C4D in mind but now I'm really interested in testing my skills in every software outhere related to motion design . 
  • I think a weekly limit is a good idea.. but it might be better if it's not every week so it's more of a memorable thing. So a one week challenge every month?

I'll try and do them whatever the timeline/limits anyway.

It's c4d that I'm most interested in trying this stuff in as I'm still very much learning but if it's in anything else I'll still give it a go too
  • @JamesDohertyEsq I think a one week challenge once a month is a good idea. It will also give us time to get good ideas for challenges. I think the first one will be an After Effects challenge. Probably in a week. (I just want time to create a couple examples since it's the first challenge.)
  • Cool, I'm (hopefully) on board anyway!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter