OSX Lion?
  • I know it's a .0 release, and it's never good to update mid-project. But I'm wondering if anyone has installed it yet and has anything to say about stability or improvements relating to graphics. I was planning on installing it on my tower at home tonight, but with highs in the 90s and my home office not being air conditioned, I'm trying not to venture up there if I don't have to. (In the winter, we actually have the heat vent sealed off. The Mac Pro can kick out a lot of heat!)
  • John Montgomery has noted that there's no real show stoppers for VFX/Graphics, with the exception of Nuke 6.3v1 which won't run under Lion.

• This link has been making the rounds, but I thought I'd share it anyways. Verrrrrry lengthy and exhaustive review on Lion: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/1

Lots of interesting info here, plus also lots of stuff that I just scrolled on by... I'll upgrade but not for a bit, and will try it on my MBP first before installing on my tower. Early adoption just never seems to be the very best idea (as seen on my Google+ stream with basically nothin' going on)...
  • I did go ahead with the upgrade on my machine, and honestly, I've not had any issues. I did make sure to read Adobe's release notes, and the Ars review first, though. I have noticed a small performance hit, but thats more likely due to me needing to upgrade some ram. Overall, I am pleased, some things I'm not used to, but it's not a massive change.
  • @mdouglas I always love the Ars reviews. This one had to be the most in depth I've seen. And they even offer a Kindle edition for $4.99!

I have Lion downloaded, but haven't installed yet. I'm hoping to do it on the laptop soon-ish. I might put it on the tower, but I'm starting a job at home in the coming weeks and don't want to have to struggle with any bugs that might come up.
  • @conigs Yeah, that review was great. I'll have to check out more of them in the future. I've now got Lion on my MBP with no issues, other than a few pieces of software that I had to upgrade. That being said, I'm not really using the MBP for anything much at this point. I'll give it a few days/weeks and see how it goes. My Mac Pro OS X install is really screwed, so I'll be starting from scratch with a fresh HDD too. Just gotta move some data around first, as I'm already maxed out w 4 HDDs. Yeesh...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter