Freelance charging
  • I've been asked for a quotation by a client for some motion graphics and I need your help . 
    The situation is that I don't get a lot of freelancing jobs and I would like to have more so I don't want to over price my work
    The client asked for some Audio visualization about 30 secs long for 30 episodes , I told him I will create a template for him that we will alter slightly for every episode . How much should I charge for that ?
    The client would also like an intro for the episodes and there is a possibility more elements might be needed . How much do you think should I charge ? I'm thinking something in the range of 1500-2000 USD for visualizations and 2000-3000 for the opening . What do you think ?
  • That's not off point. I tend to go by advice from and old professor. Set your hourly rate. Sit down and work out how much work it will really take you, and get your quote from there. This is a personal thing, and I know some can be real sticklers for their price, but I always ask for a budget in mind, and try to accomodate that as best I can.
  • I agree with @Rostenbach's advice. Work off your hourly rate as the base for a quote. For flat fee jobs, sometimes you come out ahead, other times not. 

Also, getting an idea of their budget first (while sometimes like pulling teeth) can be a great help.
  • @conigs How do I figure out the hourly rate ? I rarely work on freelance jobs and don't usually know a lot about the charge rate so this would be great help
  • Is 30 Dollars too much as an hourly rate . I figured out that something like Audio visualization would take me about 3 days to finish and I don't see myself working more than 4 hours a day so 4x3=12 hours and since I thought about charging 300 for one Audio visualization I figured out that my hourly rate will be 300/12 = 25 USD , I roughed it out to 30 USD . In that same sense an opening/closing sequence would take me about 10 days would be charged something like 1200 Dollars, Its still withing the range I suggested 
    So what do you think ? Is 30 Dollars hourly charge too little or too much ?
  • It's going to vary by market, skill set, and budget of project, but I'd say US$30/hr in the States is a bit on the low side. I know several designers whose day rate starts at $500/day for a 10 hour day at a studio. More if they're using their own gear.
  • conigs said: It's going to vary by market, skill set, and budget of project, but I'd say US$30/hr in the States is a bit on the low side. I know several designers whose day rate starts at $500/day for a 10 hour day at a studio. More if they're using their own gear.

WOW , I doubt the client can pay that much , But WOW .... I never knew it was that high
  • @Zickar Hence the budget disclaimer. Really, hourly rate will depend on a variety of this formula:

( {Yearly Budget} + {Business Expenses} + {Fun Money} ) รท {# hours willing to work in a year} = {hourly rate}

It will be influenced by other's rates in the market as well as personal needs, but it will give you a starting point. I know this is a side job, but I'd still price any work you do as if it was your full time job as a freelancer.
  • I ended up charging something in the range of about 45 dollars an hour ... I have a feeling the client won't pay more . Thanks for the help all

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter