Emit cloth like material?
  • I'm trying to animate an explosion of streamers/string style material that are dynamic (or at least look like they are)

I have thinking particles working for the other particles but anybody got a direction to point me in? Things seem to fall down when I put standard dynamic cloth in as a particle..
  • Streamers could be sweeps or polys with a spline wrap, then a wind/flag deformer on the sweep. Clone the sweeps (make sure they're under a null or the modifiers won't work properly) on to either TP or normal particles et voila!
  • Nice solution Dan!
  • Hope it helps @JamesDohertyEsq ...
  • Thanks mate, totally forgot that I posted this..

I tried this way but couldn't get it to work right.. Almost there but not quite, as I seem to end up when trying new things in c4d, can always get partially there by trying things, it's the final 10% that I struggle with.

In the end I made a small plane, gave it a cloth tag, used a turbulence object to make it flutter/warp and cached the simulation. Dropped it in a hypernurbs, put a few copies of it in the emitter and then offset the cached simulation.. now it looks like they're all different when really they're just at a different point in the sim.. They're not fluttering dynamically but their position is still affected by wind/turbulence/gravity objects and I think I get away with it..
  • Oh and I ended up dumping TP as it was getting too complicated, just used a simple emitter
  • HAHA! I do this so many times it's not even funny. "Yeah, an opportunity to use TP, sweet!" then 2 days down the line... "Oh it's bogging my comp down and it's not doing what I wanted..."

Good solution, providing you have enough frames there that the loops don't coincide with each other. Any chance we can see the project when it's finished?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter