[WIP] Bike Route
  • So while I was waiting on some renders yesterday, I put this together. It's very basic, and I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with it. I grabbed the GPS data from my daily bike commute to work from Runkeeper, normalized the data in Excel (first time I've opened that in a looooong time), and pasted the lat/lon/ele/time data as keyframes to a null to drive Particular. With some expressions to smooth the path a bit and drive color based on speed. As an experiment, the process was more the goal than the result, but now that I have it all put together I want to do something more with it. I just don't know what.

• Love it. Nice use of Particular and (who would've thought, Excel). Great idea... I think there's certainly potential for a full project here. Not sure quite what though.

Was the data from Excel easily put into the X,Y,Z of the null, without hiccups?
  • Actually, yes. I just pasted some temp keyframe data I copied out of AE into a text editor, then made sure my lon/ele/lat/time lined up with x/y/z/frame respectively and pasted those columns into the text editor. copied and pasted back into AE. It worked pretty well since AE keyframe data is already tab delimited.

The hardest part was converting latitude & longitude to meters to line up with the elevation. But this calculator helped me figure it out. Beyond that, setting up the expression to drive color from the speed of the null was interesting. First time I've worked with color in expressions. rgbToHsl() and hslToRgb along with linear() were quite handy!

As far as what to do with the project, @jasfish suggested data/type overlaid related to the route.
  • Great idea.. I think some data overlaid could be cool..
    Grade information as a secondary dial (fighter plane altitude style?) if your GPS supports it could be cool..
  • @JamesDohertyEsq My GPS doesn't have grade, but since it records elevation, it would be fairly simple to extract that info from the path of the null.
  • That is very cool! I can see the elevation and overlay data taking this to the next level.
  • I just thought I'd add that the exact same path is being used for the camera as well (or rather, the null the camera is attached to). The smooth() expression really came in handy on this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter