Your Backup Plan
  • A funny thing happened to me last night - CS5.5 got in a loop where it crashed every time I opened the project I was working on. I couldn't figure out why, tried every thing I could think of to make it stop, and finally decided that I had to reinstall After Effects. For whatever reason my uninstallers weren't working, so for the sake of time, I decided to pull my system drive, put in an empty drive and start from scratch.

Somehow, in that process though, I fried my main system drive. Which, since I freelance and work from home, happens to be the drive that I keep all our photos and music on. Thankfully (or else my wife might have murdered me), I use Backblaze and so everything was backed up, I'm just having to download it all. Currently, my music is about halfway downloaded and has 7 hours remaining, and I haven't started downloading all my pictures yet.

Which brings me to my main question. What is your backup plan? Do you backup? If so, what's the process? Do you have local and offsite, or just one or the other?

After last night, I decided that I'm going to buy an external drive and regularly Super Duper my system drive to it so that I can get up and running immediately if I have a problem, instead of spending hours (like I did today) reinstalling everything and getting my system up and running again.
  • It took the one time mistake of having a system crash with out a backup, during finals week.. my second year of school. I learned a lesson, and now have 5 yrs of data back up through both Carbonite (online) and a few terabyte drives. I also do freelance from home, so being able to do it quicker with local sources is a must.
  • I actually wrote up a lengthy post on my own blog about my strategy, but here's the TL;DR-
    • System drive cloned to bootable weekly
    • Hourly versioned backups through Time Machine of both my system & media drives
    • Continuous versioned backups of select directories (namely home directories & applications) to CrashPlan Central.
    This works well since I can boot to my system clone in a pinch, I can recover files I screw up or accidentally delete immediately through Time Machine, and if something catastrophic happens to my home, or the whole computer is fried, I can pull backups (or order a drive) from CrashPlan.

@winston I know you're already invested in Backblaze, but I can't recommend Crashplan enough. You can backup to friends' computers for free (the software is even compatible with Linux), or get a family account with CrashPlan Central which lets me back up up to 10 computers to their servers with unlimited (really) storage for a meager $6/month.
  • I have a Time Machine backup but my Windows partition is largely unprotected :/ Looking to remedy that though.

@configs Crashplan sounds fantastic. I've been looking into online schemes and had just been using Dropbox (for project files, certainly not footage / renders) but Softimage eats space with its backups. Sugarsync sounded like a more robust Dropbox, but your Crashplan sounds more thorough...
  • Like @conigs I also clone my system drive once it is set up as I like, then backup everything regularly from the G-Raid Data drive to a NAS. Once the NAS starts getting full I transfer key projects and old data to 1TB naked drives, package them properly and store one copy offsite and one at home. I also keep essentials like photos on cloud.
  • @iusebiro I can't recommend CrashPlan enough, especially for "social" backup. It's pretty easy for two friends to each buy an external drive, install CrashPlan, then back up to each other, for free. You could even run a full backup locally first, then exchange drives for a faster initial backup.

Even having said this, though, I really like having access to CrashPlan Central. So much so that I bought an additional 3 years a few months ago. I have about 4-and-a-half years left before I have to renew.
  • I need to buy a nicely sized external drive to use Time Machine on, my 500MB lil duder that was awesome 4 years ago ain't cutting it anymore.

Knock on wood, I have YET to have a HD fail on me.
  • @dazpix Shane Ross is great at looking into stuff like that. You should take a look at his entire blog (though it's more post- oriented—and ignore the terrible graphic for the "Edit Bay" podcast).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter