Informal Poll: Mouse vs Wacom
  • Just a quick informal poll to other members:

Which do you use? Mouse or Wacom?

Me? I'm entirely Wacom (Medium Intuos4 to be exact) since around May 2009. I have a laptop sleeve in my messenger bag that holds my Wacom perfectly on my rides to & from work. If I'm working at a computer for any reasonable amount of time, I need that tablet. Mice feel awkward to me at this point.

• I'm also a Wacom convert to the point that I think mice are clumsy.  A post house I freelance at had one that no one uses and I decided that I'd see what it was all about.  I bought my own two years ago and when I'm not cutting at that post house I take mine with me (also an Intuos4).

• Definitely Wacom to the point that a mouse doesn't even feel right anymore.
  • I can't afford one atm . If I won't to buy a wacom I'd want to buy the Cintiq but since I can't afford it atm I won't buy any other model . So I use a mouse and pretty much everyone around me does so . The head of the department uses a 3D mouse . it kinda sounds pointless .
  • Ditto. A mouse feels like a brick in my hand these days.
  • absolutely wacom, i have a intous 4, and use it in home and work, take it with me to all places (i have the small one, so its not an issue too travel with it) whenever i NEED to use a mouse i feel kinda clumsy and slow. 
  • So glad to see the love for tablets.

But mouse users, don't be afraid to speak up!
  • I use a mouse for what little web-browsing I do on my machine, but it's an Intuos 4 for everything else. Ever since I bought the new iPad, I've moved most of my web-browsing to it and I try to limit my machine to just work-related tasks.
  • I tend to oscillate between using a mouse and the wacom, for stuff like painting, roto, drawing spline etc the wacom can't be beat, but I still struggle a little when I'm using it on a dual monitor setup. Plus I often move between 3 computers during the day so it's a bit of a pain in the arse to move the wacom with me..
  • Trackball and Wacom. 

The last time I used a mouse for any length of time was back in '97. Have been using the large Kensington trackballs since then. I mainly use the wacom for texturing purposes, but for anything other than that, I'm much faster and efficient with the trackball.   

• Magic Mouse and Intuos 3. Tablet for Photoshop and Illustrator use mostly.... haven't fully migrated over to using it for everything, but I do love it.
  • @Rostenbach The best way to get used to using a Wacom for everything is just to go cold turkey. Previously I only used it for roto & PS/AI work, but then I made myself use the tablet exclusively for two weeks straight and I was hooked. It was a bit awkward & slow at first, but now I'm much faster with a pen than a mouse.
  • @zickar I have a 3D mouse at work. The combination of 3D mouse and wacom is awesome. The 3D mouse removes the need to use the keyboard for navigation and it eliminates some extra steps of continually switching between tools to get what I want. Though, to make the package complete, a Cintiq would be perfect. Someday, maybe. :/
  • I hated using a mouse until I switched to a Logitech MX. It's has a precision unlike any other mouse I've used, it has weighted super scroll, and is molded perfectly to my hand. I also have the extra buttons programed as different keystrokes.

I still use my older Wacom for daily work though in PS and AI, but that's about it.
  • Have become more and more wacom-based but do sometimes use a mouse.. Comfortable with both but any sort of painting/roto work makes so much more sense with pressure sensitivity..
  • KCC said: I hated using a mouse until I switched to a Logitech MX. It's has a precision unlike any other mouse I've used, it has weighted super scroll, and is molded perfectly to my hand. I also have the extra buttons programed as different keystrokes.

I still use my older Wacom for daily work though in PS and AI, but that's about it.

I also have the logitech MX, MX518 to be more specific. It is indeed very precise and i like the fact that you can adjust the mouse sensitivity using the buttons on the mouse. 

I have only used a tablet for PS/AI and roto work, i must try and use it exclusively for 2 weeks like @conigs and see what happens. I might convert to a Wacom too.
  • I bought a Bamboo a few years ago just as a temp and haven't felt the need to upgrade to an intuos since. But I'm all Illustrator and very little Photoshop.
    Mouse for AE and Softimage/Max. Jumping from my work PC to my home Mac is awkward though, the different mouse accelerations; I'll hate one or the other, it seems to alternate, heh.
  • I use an intuos 4 for everything except web browsing where I use a logitech wireless mouse with scroll wheel like many have stated here, its a combination I find works well for me. The intuos 4 is great (much prefer it to the intuos3) and much more the wheel and buttons are genuinely useful for specific applications, and I love using it in PS and AE & Sketchbook Pro particularly.
  • Robert said:
    I also have the logitech MX, MX518 to be more specific.

Yeah haven't tried that one. I had the MX Revolution but they changed it to the Performance MX, still their high end mouse, and well worth the $75 price tag...
  • Yikes.. I might be the only mouse user here!

I do occasionally use a Wacom, but it's probably like 5% of the time.  it just feels weird to me and I never had the patience to get past the weirdness barrier.  Wacoms for me are too wobbly for me and not precise enough as a mouse when moving keyframes around, etc...  Am i crazy? :P
  • eyedesyn said: Wacoms for me are too wobbly for me and not precise enough as a mouse when moving keyframes around, etc...  Am i crazy? :P

No, you're not crazy. The first 12 of those 14 days of Wacom exclusivity were definitely awkward and I was a bit slower, especially in Final Cut Pro. And you're right about not being precise, which gets more pronounced as the tablet is smaller. Fortunately, there's a precision mode which increases the effective resolution of the tablet up to something insane, like 1/10th of your screen.. It works really well for those minute details. 
  • Yeah, EJ, I use my Wacom, but I'd say at most is 15-20% of the time. I get by with the mouse just fine, and use the tablet when needed.
  • Wacom all the way. I'm totally mouseless. It's all trackpad for getting around quickly, and Wacom for precision. 

My ultimate input setup: aka what's on my desk
  • @zadie That's similar to my ideal setup, though with a full keyboard and the trackpad on the left (strictly for panning, scrolling, and zooming). Unfortunately, the machines at work don't have 10.6 so I can't use a Magic Trackpad.
  • I mostly use my mouse, but am a big Wacom fan as well. For me, my Wacom is great for specific purposes - mainly painting in Photoshop. I have an Intuos 2 6x8, and it just doesn't do the trick for my dual widescreen monitors - I'm only using the top half of an already small area. My old 9x12 worked better, but the stylus died. But since I use the Wacom with my left hand and the mouse with my right, I can easily have them both out and switch as needed ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter