New iMac i7 for AE?
  • I was really hoping there would be a new Mac Pro rev around NAB, as we're looking to pick up a new AE machine, but no Pro manna fell from heaven. This week's release of the new iMac i7 has me wondering if they would make a decent AE machine. What do you think? Would a 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 iMac with 16GB of RAM and the 256GB solid-state + 1TB drive make a worthy machine? My thoughts are to use the solid state drive for OS/Apps and the 1TB drive for source footage and render output. Eventually, I'd add a Thunderbolt drive for I/O once they're more readily available.

Am I crazy or do I wait (even more) for a rev on the Mac Pro?
  • The new iMacs do indeed look really nice. The i7 will give you hyper-threading so you'll have 8 threads available for AE. It will definitely be a worthy machine. The main downside is not being able to upgrade the graphics card easily should you decide to in the future, and AE plays a bit nicer with NVidia than AMD.

I'd say if your trendy workplace is paying for it (hi from across the alley!) it would make a decent machine.
  • I think the new iMac i7 is going to be replacing my 24" soon. It's falling behind and has been due for an upgrade recently. I waited as long as I could for something to present itself, and I think this is it. 8 threads sound wonderful. Not to mention, Thunderbolt won't be bad for future proofing.
  • I'm definitely going to be buying the new 27" iMac fully-loaded to replace my early 2008 Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is still pretty solid, but I need a new display and it seems more cost-effective to buy the iMac than wait for a new Mac Pro while continuing to put money into mine.

I saw today on Geekbench that the new iMac is about 2000 points faster on their test than my machine. http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

But I will say, beware of banking on Thunderbolt anytime immediately. I thought there was more on the horizon for it, but even after NAB, no luck. I put together this spreadsheet of everything that is announced (there is nothing for sale yet): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Asyr7HsWBqMDdG5DUlpoemhVMmlRNkVhdUdIU3FFQnc&hl=en

• I've got the new i7 27" and yeah it's pretty good. I had to work my ass of during the summer holidays working at a local golf course to get it, but i must say it was worth it. It isn't as fast as i thought it would be, but still very pleasant to work on. There is a few downsides actually. USB 3.0 is coming out this year and i won't be able to upgrade... the other downside is you can't upgrade the RAM, i've got 8 gig in it and already it seams like i should of gone for more. If i was going to buy it again, i'd wait for the upgraded version to come out with USB 3.0 and hopefully an HDMI port (it's ridiculous it doesn't have one now). Overall, i definitely recommend it.
  • Robert said: If i was going to buy it again, i'd wait for the upgraded version to come out with USB 3.0 and hopefully an HDMI port (it's ridiculous it doesn't have one now). Overall, i definitely recommend it.

Fortunately, though, with the Thunderbolt port, you can easily get both of those. You can currently get any mini display-port to HDMI converter and you'll have HDMI. And later in the year you should be able to find USB 3.0 Thunderbolt devices. Thunderbolt is basically external PCIe, so it will be very adaptable in the future.
  • Oh, i had no idea about this! That's pretty awesome. I couldn't find the price, but i bet it will be expensive. Looking at the stats, it's definitely worth getting, just hope it's not too expensive.
  • The new iMac (compared to a Mac Pro) is ridiculously affordable - $2299 gets you a 27" with i7 3.4ghz quad-core, and the 2gb video card. I plan on upgrading RAM third party, I think that'll be another $200 or so. Pretty awesome.
  • Yup, that's what I plan on doing.... hello write-offs! Also, when it comes to RAM, always go third party. (I used to work for Apple, and their markup on RAM, is ridiculous.) I found this over at Crucial. $93 for 8GB... so yea, $200 for 16? Count me in.
  • My plan with how I got my 2009 2.4 ghz 8 core Nehalem Mac Pro for over $1000 off the asking price last year was being a shark on www.macofalltrades.com.

It's a legit site with a lot of trade ins that usually are from big corporations who always upgrade every year so it's all nicely cared for equipment.  I got my '09 Mac Pro last summer 2010 and it's been working great so far!  I bought it full well knowing in 2 or 3 years I'd have to upgrade again, but I have no need nor do I want to pay for the latest and greatest.  I always go for last years model when the new ones come out.  I'd rather be spending ~$2500 every 2 years than ~$3500 every 2 years, you know? 
  • @eyedesyn That's a great site! I'll have to keep an eye on that one for upgrading later this year.
  • conigs said: @eyedesyn That's a great site! I'll have to keep an eye on that one for upgrading later this year.

Yeah man, I got 2 Mac 23" monitors for a total of $600 from those guys!  Just 1 goes for ~$800.  And I got the one monitor for only $250 because it was in the "Scratch & Dent" items, had the TINIEST scratch on the monitor, so tiny you can't see it!  Best deal ever.
  • Thinking I'll wait to upgrade till those Xeon 10-cores get a bit cheaper :P And then I will get two of them! 40 threads, bahahahaaa!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter