This week on #mochat we discussed the pros & cons of software as a service (subscription) vs perpetual licenses (traditional). This was spurred by the recent news that for any Adobe purchase beyond CS6 will require a Creative Cloud subscription. Adobe even stopped by to answer some questions… something they seem to be on top of this week with the news.

The main advantages of such a purchase have been touted quite a bit recently… easier accounting, always up-to-date availability of software, the promise of faster development cycles since one product’s release isn’t tied to the entire suite… But there was also a lot of concern and even anger over the move. The primary complaints seem to center around lack of choice, really. Some are upset about no longer getting to skip an update if you feel the cost isn’t worth it and they are tied into a payment cycle in perpetuity. There’s also uncertainty about being forced into price increases as they might occur.

While a little on the long side (over 330 tweets), the transcript is will worth the read for some of the links Adobe posted, the concerns people have, as well as some of the things people are really excited about for the upcoming Creative Cloud release.

Transcript

Welcome to #mochat everyone! Tonight we’re talking about Software as a Service vs Perpetual Licensing.9:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

If you’ve new to #mochat, you can find general info here: http://t.co/Wy6Go0NP7j Important thing is to search & include the hashtag.9:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You may have noticed a banner on tweetchat that says they may not be able to operate much longer. We’re looking into alternatives. #mochat9:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Ah! Alerted for #mochat9:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But on to the topic at hand: Software Licensing. #mochat9:01 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Hi #MoChat-ers. Here is the #CreativeCloud FAQ: http://t.co/V0DwQWARcA9:01 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Creative Cloud is probably the most prominent example of SaaS to us. How many of you already use it? #mochat9:03 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Anyone have any questions about our Creative Cloud subscription? #mochat9:04 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I had a question earlier about having both a work and personal account on the same machine. #mochat9:05 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Hello folks – just joining now. #mochat9:05 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

And if you haven’t signed up for CC, what are your reasons? #mochat9:06 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Been using #CreativeCloud for the past year and happy with it so far. #mochat9:06 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m seeing a lot about the Adobe for Teams. Seems like some added perks even for solo freelancers. Thoughts? #mochat9:06 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

howdy mochat-peeps #mochat9:07 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I haven’t signed up for CC because I knew a new version was coming.. so I was waiting to maximize that one year sub. #mochat9:08 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I haven’t just because I’m not quite sold on not “owning” the software installed on my machine. #mochat9:09 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I have a question, using CS6 whats the best way to install Creative Cloud? de-install all CS6 1st or just install? #mochat9:09 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Howdy. #mochat9:09 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

An overview of #AfterEffects CC: http://t.co/ubqCBDQlzy and the accompanying FAQ: http://t.co/dZiVr1K9a8 #mochat9:09 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I don’t know much about the Teams version. Let’s see if we can’t get you some info… #mochat9:09 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I get this too.. I’m a ‘tad’ apprehensive. But Adobe hasn’t steered me wrong yet and I don’t want a new workflow #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Howdy from Vegas! #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

: I’ve been using it for over a year and love it. Wish other software would adopt the same model like C4D.” #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

well I look at it like payments on a car … you make payments to EVENTUALLY own something #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I signed up a week ago.. thinking I may do a fresh OS install and start from scratch.. #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

All good, I was just curious.. saw 100GB on cloud storage. Could drop Dropbox perhaps. #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I leave CS6 (and CS5 and CS5.5) on the machine and then install CC next to them. #mochat9:10 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What’s the question, exactly? #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I wonder if the update cycle for the “apps” will change now, especially after effects #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Hi #MoChat-ers. Here is the #CreativeCloud FAQ: http://t.co/V0DwQWARcA9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

noted.. #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

The idea for CC teams for small shops to be able to setup CC on a project by project basis. Based up and down of project #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

thanks #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Ditto. I hope that the EULA could change in time. Maybe by next year they will be licensing tweaks #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

#MOCHAT | I’m a big fan of #CreativeCloud as well. Love having my finger on the pulse with updates across the entire suite.9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I need to have personal subscription for freelance. Wondering how best to access work subscription when I need to. #mochat9:11 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes, we will be releasing small features when they’re ready, not bound by a rigid yearly schedule. #mochat9:12 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So probably not really in the interest of a solo freelancer. Are there any pricing plans for Add-on Storage from 20GB? #mochat9:12 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So what are the chances of getting an alternative to the rental option? #mochat9:12 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Well the big plus is probably not having to hold off for full version upgrades on a synchronized release schedule. #mochat9:12 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

CC Teams is over twice as expensive as upgrading Production. Premium every year. #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What made that change? With CS5.5 Adobe announced you were moving to a yearly schedule. One year later: CC. #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So you’ll have two different accounts? Still not understanding. #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

my biggest concerns is plugins. We spend a shitload on them and with licenses being as limited as they are, this could be an issue #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

that sounds cool, wonder if the suggestion -> implementation process will speed up or change too now #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think all things are possible in time .. but chances are we’ll never be privy to that #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I dont like how Adobe is almost forcing people to the cloud by imbedding certain features into the CC platform #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : An overview of #AfterEffects CC: http://t.co/ubqCBDQlzy and the accompanying FAQ: http://t.co/dZiVr1K9a8 #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Seconded. “: So what are the chances of getting an alternative to the rental option? #mochat9:13 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

would rather rent software I could afford and keep upgraded every release than own it and not be able 2 afford 2 stay up 2 date. #mochat9:14 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

There are plans to add storage as needed if you need more. #mochat9:14 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : I dont like how Adobe is almost forcing people to the cloud #mochat9:14 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

When we deliver software as part of subscription, we can deliver new features without making you pay separate upgrade price. #mochat9:14 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What do you propose? #mochat9:14 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

In what way are plug-ins affected by this? I see no difference. #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

but are they? They’re still selling CS6. We have two options. Which matters most to you? #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But I’m wondering why even announce the yearly cycle with CS5.5 if CC was in the works? #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I don’t think anyone is forcing anyone. #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Reverse Maxon Service Agreement. Ability to buy out and own the software if you end subscription. #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yep. Think of it this way: Now, we have to give you a reason every month to keep paying us. #mochat9:15 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Sad face RT : Hmmm RT : Oh boy . #postchat RT : Crap. #mochat http://t.co/9lwsaPM8YM9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Perpetual, rent to own, subscription to own . Autodesk and Maxon have options that give folks ownership. #mochat9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Overview of #CreativeCloud for Teams: http://t.co/I2g0nuQgB0 and its FAQ: http://t.co/V0DwQWARcA #mochat9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Will there be CC number updates? has a point what if an update break my plugins? what version do I ask to be updated? #mochat9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Seconded #mochat9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

do you mean like losing the installs to the plugins? If year is up, CC stays installed. Plugs intact #mochat9:16 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m worried about the reverse. The reason to keep paying is so we can open After Effects next month. #mochat9:17 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But the maxon subscription is also AFTER you have bought the full license – it’s both #mochat9:17 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Of course you dont. You are employed by them. 😀 RT : I dont think anyone is forcing anyone. #mochat9:17 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So you want us to charge BOTH perpetual AND subscription? #mochat9:17 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

The version numbers are not any different than in the past. We’ll still have a new version number for each big change. #mochat9:17 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Right, but w/MSA you buy up front then subscribe to updates. CC could be opposite. Only buy if you end sub to “own” license. #mochat9:18 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I want an option that gives me ownership at a reasonable price, Many folks do. #mochat9:18 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Interesting proposition. Make sure you understand what the L in EULA means. #mochat9:19 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Made it to #mochat finally 🙂 Where are we at with the questions?9:20 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I know I don’t own software in a perpetual license. But it will open as long as platform supports it, regardless of payments #mochat9:20 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

In about 146 characters – what is primary concern that makes you want to ‘own’? Not being sarcastic – curious. #mochat9:20 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

then again I could just be a total idiot and I’m afraid of change … LIKE GARTH! http://t.co/XREGUrDSaG #mochat9:20 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : In about 146 characters – what is primary concern that makes you want to ‘own’? Not being sarcastic – curious. #mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Does anyone know if you can pay a whole year upfront? I hate monthly payments. #mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Curious – same as comment to #mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I would just be comforted in knowing if I end a subscription, I have the option to keep the currently installed software. #mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

it could be a reasonable concern.. but thankfully, I’m OCD with installers and plugin backups. #mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Wondering if there will be a 3rd party plugin options available in #CreativeCloud like they do with Rack Extensions in Reason 7#mochat9:21 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I already have like Vimeo/flickr/prosite/host/domain to pay for. #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

send me a check.. and I’ll take care of it for ya.. 8D #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

As long as makes previous versions available to CC subscribers, I don’t have a problem w CC anymore #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I get people want ownership but when you do the math cc is more financially viable for individuals and large companies. #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It could get messy in big shops, but time will tell, right? AE is all 64bit so unless a drastic change #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

If budget/circumstances change, I’d like to still be able to open the version of AE I currently have installed. #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Here is a chart by on CC vs. CS #mochat9:22 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

unless you regularly update and purchased the master suite it is more expensive. #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It gives me control to use the software that fits my needs. To upgrade or not. To cut back on expenses and still edit. #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

A plugin marketplace housed within #CreativeCloud perhaps?#MoChat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Curious too. “: Does anyone know if you can pay a whole year upfront? I hate monthly payments. #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Would love Adobe to fold in Red Giant, , and other plugin providers into the licensing/syncing fold for future CC versions #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Overview of #CreativeCloud for Teams: http://t.co/I2g0nuQgB0 and its FAQ: http://t.co/V0DwQWARcA #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : #MOCHAT | I’m a big fan of #CreativeCloud as well. Love having my finger on the pulse with updates across the entire suite.9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Have you also considered the tax implications of subscription? Makes it essentially ‘free’ #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It’s the lack of option to make that choice, though, that irks many. #mochat9:23 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes, we’ll be providing CS6 & later through Creative CLoud so that you can choose which version(s) to install at any time. #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

albeit not upfront expensive, but over time it is. Its like forced updates for a little cheaper. If that makes sense. #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

This is my one thought. Have a young family that will keep growing. So flexibility to work even past the sub. #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Not having to depreciated the purchase as an asset is nice, but I wouldn’t call it ‘free’. #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That’s huge going forward – some studios will not or cannot move just yet, makes it hard to collaborate #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : In general, you don’t need new versions of plug-ins w/ #AfterEffects CC. Most that work w/ CS6 will work w/ CC #mochat #creativecloud9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Please, lets stick to the initial question. Will Adobe give us options to won? #mochat9:24 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Don’t get me wrong CC is compelling and works for a lot of people. Just a little irked I can’t buy perpetual anymore. #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But Matt is totally right. Only time will tell … I’ll end up embracing it once I get to use it #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You could pay the single-application price for a month ($9.99) when you need to open it later. Or use the free 30day trial. #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Wish granted! #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

leaning your way too, but at first I didn’t like it at all. Never a fan of being forced this way when I had it another #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Please, lets stick to the initial question. Will Adobe give us options to own? #mochat9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : In general, you don’t need new versions of plug-ins w/ #AfterEffects CC. Most that work w/ CS6 will work w/ CC #mochat #creativecloud9:25 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

2 topics in taxes – COGS and Professional memberships. Usually 100% tax deductible in most countries. #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That is my only concern as well. For many, what fits now may not in a couple months. #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Only thing bothering me is swath of apps I’m paying for that I’ll never open. Would love Production Bundle option #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But the 30 day trial is a one-off, right? I can only do that once? #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think we have been pretty clear about what you get and what you don’t. #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Be sure to submit a feature request about the things that you want to sync. We can add more things in the next version. #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’ll let you know how much I like it when I join CC after mid-June. I’m taking plunge #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

The Adobe store says single app price is $19.99 not $9.99 correct? #mochat9:26 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

@. I don’t like that the rate could change whenever. This CC monthly service is going to be rising like my cell phone bill. #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I know what your task here today is Todd. To put out fires and persuade. Its evident in the dialog. I understand. #mochat9:43 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Files yes… a way to open them…? #mochat9:43 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m warming up to Creative Cloud, but I can see the concerns people are having. Maybe I’ll hold off a bit to see how it all pans out #mochat9:44 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m curious if there’s a contingency in the event Adobe goes out of business? What happens to CC installs? #mochat9:44 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think Todd and Steve are laying a lot of fear to rest. Direct access to speak to us directly is great #mochat9:44 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That’s where I’m at currently. #mochat9:44 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

so is anyone here in a country that doesnt have creative cloud? #mochat9:44 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Media files can be opened by not just us. Project files? Download a trial and convert or single month / single app. #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Then tell corp that there a lots of folks that want the option to own, in whatever manner you can come up with. #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Photoshop for Creative Cloud had some new features added to it this year. Probably a good reference to use if you’re curious #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Interesting chat between #VFX folks re: perpetual vs. membership: http://t.co/bYF18UJHG2 #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think at that point, if they’re going to go under, there might be a permanent licensing option. Or disable the check in #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

They’ve heard loud and clear. #mochat9:45 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I have the same mindset. See if the first mouse gets the cheese. But eventually as software improves we have to conform #mochat9:46 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yikes. #mochat9:46 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We just learned that several more countries were added to the list that have Creative Cloud. Adding as fast as possible. #mochat9:46 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Personally, I think a valid option would be to sell single-app perpetual license, but not necessarily upgrade pricing. #mochat9:46 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Sorry man. Do you hear how naive you sound? Adobe wants it there way and hasnt given us the choices. #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

How could they not have? The last two days have been near flame-war political proportions of online discourse. #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What I would know most is why the big price differences comparing USA – EUROPE – AUSTRALIA? I pay 80% more than USA peeps #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

One thing not touched upon is the flexibility & affordability of the CC Team option now. Huge for small teams scaling up #moChat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What are the barriers to offering CC to other countries vs traditional CS? (Really curious about this.) #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Digital delivery and subscription service are separate issues. If Adobe wanted push more frequent updates they could do it w/o CC #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Keepin CS6, only getting AEcc for Cineware if a client needs things really fast. Cineware = skip a render step = faster turnaround:) #mochat9:47 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

now that people have spoken up about wanting perpetuals, and they know disadvantages, i dont see why cant still be offered. #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Anyone taken the developments into account when considering CC? Worth it alone for many shops. http://t.co/XGwhE1hwhg #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Check again. The last I checked, the price was about the same for Australia and UK. #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We’ve had our titanium underwear on 😉 I don’t work in marketing but absolutely believe it best way forward. #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : #Creativecloud is now the same price in Australia as in the USA #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

have you done CC installs on multiple machines? we did 3 at once, not fun. AAM has been crap. #mochat9:48 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think the issue is… how do you handle full CS upgrades if releases aren’t synched? #mochat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think it was said the plan was to focus on CC to make sure the updates were consistent against boxed media #mochat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

speaking of AAM any chance that you can install an app with its updates vs having to install and then update? #mochat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

They are. You can buy CS6 perpetual licenses now and on into the future. #mochat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yeah but compared to the USA? USA -> 50$, GERMANY: 62€ -> ~80$ #mochat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

if AE gets Anywhere, we’re going to see the volume of questions SKYROCKET #moChat9:49 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

CC changes how and when we build software. CS held us back. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I may have missed this, but do you have to update with CC? Sometimes there might be bugs/workflow issues with instant updates. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That is something that we’re considering, but not implemented yet. Want to give the option. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Definitely considered it, but was frustrated to learn it’s not a plug and play solution. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But that’s something that’s not spelled out to my knowledge. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

OK. Thanks. Thats all we can do. I voted by cancelling the cloud and staying with CS6. I have to follow my convictions. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Dang good [scary] point. RT if my HW budget can’t keep up w CC sys reqs I’ll end up paying for updates I can’t use. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I couldn’t be more excited about the faster updates and added flexibility created by #CreativeCloud. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Working where I work now, I was kind of made aware of these things. #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

so I pay 80% more than USA…without any logical reason. It’s not like bits & bytes cost more in Europe you know? #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

has that been announced as being part of CC or how it will be sold? also size of shop? #mochat9:50 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Curious as I have to deal w this everyday. Is it tech limitation as to why CS5.5 isn’t also available #moChat9:51 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It’s currently slated for “late 2013”. #mochat9:51 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

lol, i mean post cs6 todd. like when CC came out how things were first talked about #mochat9:51 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m excited to (possibly / probably) be cutting my first project on Premiere Pro since about ….2006? because of the CC. #MoChat9:51 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

No, you can choose if/when to update. You can choose which version(s) to install. #mochat9:51 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Actually we could not. Sarbox revenue recognition and SEC. Huge constraints. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Release schedule, not CS itself right? I think that distinction is missed by a lot of people. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes. You can prepay if you buy through Amazon or other 3rd party retailers. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I guess its similar to how I don’t have a Living Will. I don’t plan to kick the bucket but I should spell it out #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

And if not this project, something soon. #MoChat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Does VAT come into play? US prices don’t include taxes. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

CS5.5 wasn’t released as part of Creative Cloud (which we started last year with CS6). #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

why not?I’ve used #CreativeCloud on my primary system for the past year with no major problems. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You can always go back to previous versions as part of CC which will work on older machines. #mochat9:52 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

nope its reverse charge, so practically no VAT in there, it’s not in the bill either #mochat9:53 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

IT guys at our office are scared to death of dealing with the Team CC licensing/updating/management. Good to know #moChat9:53 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

The fact that SEC filings & accounting dictate software releases always baffled me. #mochat9:53 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That is huge! : RT : #Creativecloud is now the same price in Australia as in the USA #mochat9:53 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But businesses doing business with other businesses need that kind of thing spelled out. For business. #mochat9:54 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yep – Joy Joy. #mochat9:54 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Glad I work at a privately held company. #mochat9:54 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

at least i got an email today about discounts for multiple licenses. first ive seen #mochat9:54 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You feel forced, but you’re not. if you don’t need don’t buy. Want and need are diff. #mochat9:54 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It will require CC (not part of). Hugely beneficial to teams working across different cities. #mochat9:55 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : But businesses doing business with other businesses need that kind of thing spelled out. For business. #mochat9:55 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Supposedly they will unlock the software in that event, but in reality they would get bought & not just shut down outright. #mochat9:55 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

How does one say that to the Adobe Legal Team behind the EULA and CC? #mochat9:55 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Something I like is that right now I’m a Mac user and if Mac Pro doesn’t get updated I might switch to PC much easier now if needed #mochat9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Love to see #mochat trending 🙂 http://t.co/4f6qHo0VWb9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Ha. That I don’t know about. #mochat9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Meaning the likelihood that they would just unlock it is probably slim. I’m taking a complete shot in the dark here. #mochat9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : That is huge! : RT : #Creativecloud is now the same price in Australia as in the USA #mochat9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We only have about 5 minutes left of #mochat!9:56 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

do I need to be a US resident to buy from the US Adobe page? Since this is what I would do, living in Germany where its 180% price #mochat9:57 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Welcome to the fun new world of Premiere! I used it in college and hated it. Tried CS3 and fell in love since #mochat9:57 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Wow! Fastest hour yet! #mochat9:57 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

probably need a US address. and maybe a proxy server #mochat9:58 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

If there was one element of CC that could convince someone on the fence to go subscription, what would it be? #moChat9:58 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Come keep the conversation live, or pass along tips and tricks with the after #mochat hangout via G+9:59 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

@ how well does CC travel? if I move countries, will check in from new country be a problem? Can I move to new local computer? #mochat9:59 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

having the latest toys vx being stuck in the dark ages 🙂 #mochat9:59 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Well, even if cc isn’t ideal for us all, it’s a neat idea. Faster updates sounds nice. I just hope I can convince my boss. #mochat9:59 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But do you feel forced to buy new hardware? PC or Apple or otherwise? #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

and how do you find that on g+? #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I want more AECC community like here. #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It works fine like that. I test crossing locales. #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

all adobe fonts included?? 8) #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Invoice clients your subscription cost. Write it off. Re-coup your costs more easily. Get features all the time. #mochat10:00 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

175 Adobe Typefaces are included as part of TypeKit #mochat10:01 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Synching fonts with the system is part of Creative Cloud. #mochat10:01 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Well, that does it for #MoChat tonight, but feel free to keep the conversation going. Thanks to Adobe members for the impromptu turnout.10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : 175 Adobe Typefaces are included as part of TypeKit #mochat10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Thanks for coming out for #MoChat everyone! And as always, #GoMakeSomething!10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Exactly. I’m worried about it. #mochat10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Thanks folks! #mochat10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

#mochat Anyone have a link to the sub-suite versions? Can’t seem to find it.10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Love this idea. Just need one job most likely to cover a year of updates. #mochat10:02 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

great now just give us a great type viewer like Suitcase Fusion for example #mochat10:03 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Good night, all. #mochat10:03 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We’ll also keep everyone posted about how best to participate going forward if Tweetchat is no longer available. #mochat10:03 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

But tax-deductible != free. At most it equates to a 20-30% ‘discount’ on purchase price. #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Agreed. I’m not clear on ‘grace period’ timeline if license doesn’t ping. Need at least 3 days for weekend outage #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Then why not buy CS6 as perpetual? #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Interesting chat between #VFX folks re: perpetual vs. membership: http://t.co/bYF18UJHG2 #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

our IT doesnt permit cloudbased anything.. so Im guess not immediate update to CC for us at work.. #sadpanda #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

not disagreeing paul but what software / hardware / operating system would be considered perpetual? #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yea but my point is its not cheaper. Its easier. Difference. #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : An overview of #AfterEffects CC: http://t.co/ubqCBDQlzy and the accompanying FAQ: http://t.co/dZiVr1K9a8 #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Good point too:) #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I HATED the idea at first but I’m warming to it #mochat9:27 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I currently do. I’m just not sold on moving to CC for the reasons I’ve stated. If I ever want to upgrade, it’s CC or bust. #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes. But I was just giving an idea that you have options if you are in a pinch. #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Then you are wasting my time . I dont need to hear corp rational why we should feel good about being screwed 😀 #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yes, Grubhub integration is a must by 2014 #moChat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I just want to note, you are signing a contract, you can’t simply quit should you stop. #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Sync Settings in #AfterEffects CC: http://t.co/P6AppJOlAY (feature request link incl. for add’l syncing) #CreativeCloud #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Only if you did it the old way for perpetual software. About 20-30% amortized over a capitalization period. #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

The enterprise system for Creative Cloud has this solved. I can point you to resources if you like. #mochat9:28 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Then we agree to disagree. Have a nice evening. #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

… but we’re not being screwed. It’s different and change. But compared to Avid and FCP, I’ll stick with Adobe. #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Some people make it sound like its just $50 a month. Its not you are signing into a year. #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’d consider CC to be subscription to stay current / updated / working “perpetually” … #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I would like it better if I were a student still. I will need to re-budget annually for CC I think. #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

services are OPEX – 100% deductible #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yes please. #mochat9:29 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

If you want to go month to month its, what $75? #mochat9:30 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Folks – dont surcom to the the smooth rationale of these corp shills. Its there job to talk you into loving the cloud. #mochat9:30 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Since I’m already a CC member for over a year, when will be able to log on and off on as many machines as we like? #mochat9:30 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

if my hardware budget can’t keep up w CC sys reqs (as it can’t now) I’ll end up paying for updates I can’t use. #mochat9:30 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

There is a true month to month option, albeit more expensive, but still an option. #mochat9:30 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You are, you just dont know it. 😀 #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Just a reminder to keep it civil, everyone. #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Are there work arounds in the event of longterm internet outages and the check in? Someone mentioned they.. #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

for Creative Cloud for enterprise, see these: http://t.co/x6lNXmwkdZ and http://t.co/G7yOnHyblP #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

yea, but some one was saying just get the single app for a month for $20 when thats a contract price. #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : So what are the chances of getting an alternative to the rental option? #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Now degrading to name calling is a true waste of time. 😛 #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’ll end up buying CC … I already pay for CS6 #mochat9:31 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Well, something like this should open up some competing app development for at least AE if there’s dissent, right? #moChat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

(cont) took a 1 year gig in the Antarctic without internet. That check in could kill that. #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Perpetual, rent to own, subscription to own . Autodesk and Maxon have options that give folks ownership. #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You can prepay 1 year of membership thru a re/e-tailer. More info here: http://t.co/A8FAYNxzKh (cc: ) #mochat #creativecloud9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : It gives me control to use the software that fits my needs. To upgrade or not. To cut back on expenses and still edit. #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I don’t think it is evil or like big brother is watching you. We have to be rational to see the benefits too #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Folks – dont surcom to the the smooth rationale of these corp shills. Its there job to talk you into loving the cloud. #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes, there’s a grace period that allows several months without Internet access if you have an annual subscription. #mochat9:32 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Thats the point. You ultimately vote with your wallet. That is the power you have. #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Hmm, wondering why people aren’t outraged about the Dropbox subscription they currently pay for?#mochat#justsaying9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Well no, I do know the situation. I’m not willing to spend more $ to reinvest and change work flows and get poor results #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

great! I can use Amazon then to buy the whole year and have a single write off. #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : You can prepay 1 year of membership thru a re/e-tailer. More info here: http://t.co/A8FAYNxzKh (cc: ) #mochat #creativecloud9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’m not talking about total deductions. I’m saying that deducting CC ($600) will only lower my tax bill about $150-200. #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I think thats been a question I’ve heard a couple people ask. Thanks! #moChat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Chill Guys…Can’t we all jus get along…n absolutely Luv d team, software, etc etc etc…but options r good 2! #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

That’s another really good point I hadn’t thought of. #mochat9:33 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

LOL! #mochat9:34 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I realize his 1 year situation was unique, but if we know “I’m going off grid for 6 months” is there flexibility? #mochat9:34 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

ah – got it. #mochat9:34 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Isn’t another app that I trust in a pipeline that offers anything like AE offers for motion graphics. I’m in… #moChat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Hmm, wondering why people aren’t outraged about the Dropbox subscription they currently pay for?#mochat#justsaying #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Tax talk is always confusing. Tax talk on Twitter during #mochat is near incomprehensible. 😉9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yes, the grace period is currently 99 days, and we’re upping it to 180 days, so your 6 months off the grid is fine. #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Is it possible to change from monthly to annual? #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We offer a lot of #CreativeCloud plans: http://t.co/GCdFZFk0KG Pricing comparisons are individual based on your purchase habits. #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

…esp if it means more incremental improvements over a shorter amount of time with the end-user in mind. #moChat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

There’s a different feeling when the entire service exists on someone else’s servers. CC is installed + cloud services. #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I completely agree! 🙂 #mochat9:35 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Awesome. Thanks! I think that may help calm fears. Those Discovery Earth shooters/editors can sleep easy now #mochat9:36 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I don’t use Dropbox, I use Adobe SendNow;) #mochat9:36 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I’d still be pretty scared to count on it. Is there a way to clearly see when next/last checkins are? #mochat9:36 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

: I still have my stuff if I stop paying #mochat9:36 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Would love to see creative cloud expand to sync plugins too. #mochat9:37 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I vote yes. CC = good deal for those making a living using Adobe apps. Happy to support dev #mochat9:37 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Yeah, I’ll drop my Dropbox if upping to 100GB on CC is a logical price point. And it easily could be #mochat9:37 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I was upset last year, felt like a 2nd-class citizen for staying a loyal up-to-date customer. I’ve warmed to it #moChat9:38 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

There’s an attempt to connect to the server every 30 days. If it fails, it counts down and shows you the count of days. #mochat9:38 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Come on folks.Adobe wants to make more money. Dont buy into thier marketing BS that they are doing this for you #mochat9:38 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So, to buy CS6 MS is $2599 / $50mo sub, then after 4.333 years we only have to pay an upgrade price from then on yes? 😉 #mochat9:38 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

that sounds like a feature request – a manual check-in while in the Creative Cloud App. Timestamped too #mochat9:38 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

when it gets to 0 is there an BAAAAAAAAAAH sound? #mochat9:39 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I understand you’re passionate about this, but let’s keep things civil. #mochat9:39 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I would love to see cloud rendering and plugin syncing make it’s way into #CreativeCloud down the road. #mochat9:39 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Tom, I’m not in marketing. My job is to deliver the most satisfying product to users. This is helping me do that. #mochat9:39 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What would you say Avid was doing then all those years w/ its pricy software and hardware? #mochat9:39 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : when it gets to 0 is there an BAAAAAAAAAAH sound? #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Is that a feature request? 😉 #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I really hope that’s the case! #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

check in with the #CreativeCloud forum for that answer: http://t.co/4Re5vaazpD #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Shows you where? A check-in log on the cloud interface would be incredibly convenient. #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Stay tuned. It might take a bit… #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : With CC – Ae can get a feature update as early as september BTW. Key reason why we did it. #mochat9:40 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

I upgrade every year. If less piracy + recurring rev gets us focused updates more often, so be it #moChat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

It’s not we are doing it for you – we are trying to create a win for you AND a win for us. Commerce. #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Word to your mother! And thank you for caring about the creatives in the world 🙂 #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Why thanks for the option. I do appreciate it.I think I will stick with CS6. Is that alright with you #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

What do you consider feature updates? .1 or full version upgrades. (Just trying to wrap my head around what to expect.) #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

RT : Shows you where? A check-in log on the cloud interface would be incredibly convenient. #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

See.. this is why I’m onboard the move behind CC. If a feature request is honored that fast pardon my french but fuck yeah #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

When you start, a dialog box comes up. Like the one that tells you how many days left in your trial. #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

thanks! #mochat9:41 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

because Dropbox is a service not a product. Because I still have my files when I stop paying Dropbox. #mochat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

MT “: I vote yes. CC = good deal for those making a living using Adobe apps… #mochat” Complete agreement here John!9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

late for mochat, bet i missed some fun #mochat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

THIS is why I’m excited for CC subscription – let’s push dev into overdrive #moChat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

New features and feature upgrades. #mochat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

You still have your files when you stop paying for CC. #mochat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Worth the wait, but with #CreativeCloud I guess it could be implemented a lot faster than without. 🙂 #mochat9:42 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

So what would have traditionally been a new CS number? #mochat9:43 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

Amen. #mochat9:43 PM EDT May 7th, 2013

We were planning on switching to Premiere, but now I’m worried that my boss may opt to pay per program instead and keep on FCP #mochat9:43 PM EDT May 7th, 2013