This week on #mochat, we talked about landing that first gig and networking. A lot of people got their first job by knowing the right person (or the right person knowing them). It may have been a small job, but if they put out good work, people remembered them.
What really got people continued work is networking with others—both other designers and people from different fields. Never underestimate the power of referrals. A lot of networking is done on Twitter and Facebook now, but there’s still a lot of those in-person events like AE user groups, meetups, and industry events like NAB. So make it a point to get to know other people! You never know when or where they can help you… just be sure you help others, too.

Transcript

Welcome to #mochat everyone! Tonight’s topic is landing that first gig & networking to get the next.8:00 PM Apr 30th, 2013

If you’re not familiar with #mochat, here’s a brief overview: http://t.co/Wy6Go0NP7j Easiest to follow along on http://t.co/JP3pAlqeDL8:00 PM Apr 30th, 2013

To start things off, let’s reminisce about our first gig, no matter how recent. What was it and how did you get it? #mochat8:01 PM Apr 30th, 2013

My first official job was assisting at a studio in Milwaukee. Machine room, logging footage, prepping PS files… #mochat8:02 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I got that job because I was an intern first, and I didn’t slack off and asked what more I could do. #mochat8:03 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I ended up working for Mother on an NBC spot when I was 19 after getting getting caught working illegally in their office space… #mochat8:04 PM Apr 30th, 2013

And I got that internship because of a teacher I had in Chicago who knew the people across the hall from the shop. #mochat8:04 PM Apr 30th, 2013

As in illegally for you or for NBC? #mochat8:04 PM Apr 30th, 2013

My 1st job was in Master Control for a cable company. I interned there and a public access station. Hustled & worked my butt off. #mochat8:05 PM Apr 30th, 2013

my first gig was a full time job out of college. Work aside, I got the gig by fitting company personality and drive. #mochat8:05 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Everyone stresses about your reel and work, but little phased goes on that first pressing. They go a long way. #mochat8:08 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Last week, we saw that a lot of people didn’t necessarily start in Motion Design. Anyone else start in a different field? #mochat8:08 PM Apr 30th, 2013

it was for a DVD. Got it through an intern connection. It was frustrating. Now available in drug stores! #mochat8:09 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I got my first job as a post tech after I interrupted a couple of guys talking post in a Starbucks in LA #mochat8:09 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I technically got my start in editorial. But in the broadcast commercial realm, there’s a lot of mixed skill sets. #mochat8:09 PM Apr 30th, 2013

What is this DVD? I must see it. #mochat8:10 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Hustle. #mochat8:10 PM Apr 30th, 2013

same field, different role. Got in the door as a producer. But worked to editor and production. #mochat8:10 PM Apr 30th, 2013

: But in the broadcast commercial realm, there’s a lot of mixed skill sets. #mochat” this. Across the board this applies.8:11 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Digital Signage. Was brought in to do Flash animations but CMS didn’t support Flash so learned AE on the fly. #MoChat8:11 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I wish haha I was so nervous and I had just gotten to LA I kinda made an ass of myself #mochat8:11 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Did you find much crossover between Flash & AE? Flash always feels like a foreign planet. #mochat8:12 PM Apr 30th, 2013

But you did something right. They remembered you. #mochat8:13 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I was working as a print/web designer that snuck into the edit bay at every opportunity to pick the editor’s brain. #mochat8:13 PM Apr 30th, 2013

RT : I got that job because I was an intern first, and I didn’t slack off and asked what more I could do. #mochat8:13 PM Apr 30th, 2013

You here? Did your phone remember to remind you? #mochat8:13 PM Apr 30th, 2013

And one thing led to another…. eventually I was an editor with a graphic design background. #MoChat8:13 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Funny, I came to it from the reverse. #mochat8:14 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Here! here! #mochat8:15 PM Apr 30th, 2013

: I started in Graphic Design and Web design. I enjoyed designing but coding makes me want to punch myself.” #mochat8:15 PM Apr 30th, 2013

not to far off from motion design, but my first official job was doing stereo conversion in LA, switched soon after. #mochat8:15 PM Apr 30th, 2013

The skills are so complimentary. At least to the two of us:) #mochat8:16 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Started my career wanting to go into editing… Ended up falling in love with After Effects… #mochat8:16 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Curious if anyone comes from audio? So important for animation, yet I know very few animators that moonlight as sound designers. #mochat8:16 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I had a moderate live-audio background from high school and college work. I know did audio first. #mochat8:17 PM Apr 30th, 2013

#mochatStarted as asst editor at pops post house as child laborer on spots. Then 3d, Mac grfx, illusion comp, etc. moved to mograph after8:17 PM Apr 30th, 2013

yeah I was the loud-mouth Italian kid from NYC that they questioned about post workflows … I just got lucky #mochat8:18 PM Apr 30th, 2013

“Illusion comp”? That’s a new one to me. #mochat8:18 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Originally was on my way to Med school. Then life took me in a different direction. #mochat8:19 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Curious if there’s anyone here or lurking that is still studying or waiting for that first gig? #mochat8:19 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Um… that’s a bit of a left turn. #mochat8:19 PM Apr 30th, 2013

A bit? Try a hard left!! #mochat8:20 PM Apr 30th, 2013

My career trajectorypencils > print > web > flash > editorial > mograph > more editing > mograph #mochat8:20 PM Apr 30th, 2013

But you spoke up. That already can set you apart. #mochat8:20 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I did because I didn’t do a lot of action scripting. Also was played a lot with exporting XFL files from AE to Flash. #MoChat8:20 PM Apr 30th, 2013

audio was my interest in college. Ran sound/post on tons of short films. Even attempted albums. I despise doing it now. #mochat8:21 PM Apr 30th, 2013

lol Yeah, for sure! #mochat8:21 PM Apr 30th, 2013

speaking up I’d definitely something I do (pretty well too) and I think it’s definitely helped me #mochat8:22 PM Apr 30th, 2013

went to college for/and owned graphic design business. bought Form-Z, Electric Image, and CoSa After Effects and never looked back #mochat8:22 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’ve always been one foot in both, but after freshman year of college realized I had to pick one for a career #mochat8:22 PM Apr 30th, 2013

you were raised by an SGI box weren’t you? #mochat8:23 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Electric Image! #mochat8:23 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Looking back and seeing the state of medicine. Think I’m ok with going in another direction. #mochat8:23 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Hey, #mochat is going on!8:24 PM Apr 30th, 2013

A lot of first jobs seem to happen by knowing the right person (or the right person knowing you). #mochat8:25 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Late to the party. But, my ears are burning. #mochat8:26 PM Apr 30th, 2013

How important has networking been to you after that first gig? #mochat8:26 PM Apr 30th, 2013

oldie! Remember it but never used it. #mochat8:26 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Friend go me my first job. So knowing the right folks definitely helps #mochat8:27 PM Apr 30th, 2013

RT : I got that job because I was an intern first, and I didn’t slack off and asked what more I could do. #mochat8:27 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Always want to network – and NEVER burn your bridges! You never know that the person you burn will someday be your boss! #mochat8:27 PM Apr 30th, 2013

RT : A lot of first jobs seem to happen by knowing the right person (or the right person knowing you). #mochat8:27 PM Apr 30th, 2013

#mochatAvid illusion running on an onyx. Comping and doing vfx spot woek8:28 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Well might I pick your brain for a moment as to whether or not audio skills have helped you in motion design? #mochat8:28 PM Apr 30th, 2013

So very true. I know a few people who talked too much crap about others and switched fields; they couldn’t find work. #mochat8:29 PM Apr 30th, 2013

woot hello peeps. #mochat8:29 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Sure. In a word, yes. In fact, the whole education tract of creative + technical guided me to where I am. #mochat8:29 PM Apr 30th, 2013

hah. Raised in 1″ edit online rooms #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Now that I’m full time, my freelance is almost entirely referrals… even from people for whom I’ve never worked directly. #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Hey, Ron! #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Work 9to5 but studying online for certification and expand my skillset for career shift #MoChat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

hah, prior to freshman year I almost went into music performance as a major. Dodged a bullet there #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

it’s 100% networking. My career has been getting passed from one job to the next because of word of mouth. #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

: My business runs on networking. I like getting to know every person I work with.” #mochat8:30 PM Apr 30th, 2013

My first job was brought by my friends. The key is the right person knowing me. #mochat8:31 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Networking is always going to be a pivotal role I think. It can make or break a successful freelancer or even FT career #mochat8:31 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I remember those days – And dubbing 2″ quad to SP! #mochat8:31 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Beyond Twitter, what do you guys do to network? User groups? Conferences? Events? #mochat8:32 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I know a guy like that. If you’re in a smaller town people talk and how you act can come back to bite you. #mochat #mochat8:32 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I feel like we’re one step away from talking about youths and their loud music… #mochat8:32 PM Apr 30th, 2013

well there was NAB.. that was a giant networking fest #mochat8:32 PM Apr 30th, 2013

#mochat IRC some for networking8:33 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Ehhhhhhhh?!???? I cant hear you Sonny! #mochat8:33 PM Apr 30th, 2013

What servers/channels do you use for mograph? #mochat8:34 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’ve been to some local ad events. I wish my area had more freelance/mograph meet ups like NYC/Chicago. Instead of clients #mochat8:34 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I still have a dream to create a S. AZ users group actually Im hoping there is one I just gotta find it.. 8) #mochat8:34 PM Apr 30th, 2013

That’s how it was in MKE, too. A lot of agency stuff, not much for post. Tried to start a monthly meetup, but fizzled. #mochat8:34 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Doesn’t Adobe have a list of all the users groups? #mochat8:35 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Back in my day you had to use an Effect to get Text outa After Effects. And it was Red.. and you liked it.. #mochat8:35 PM Apr 30th, 2013

damn you and your logic.. I havent looked that hard apparently #mochat8:35 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Which version? #mochat8:36 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Remember the Basic 3D plugin? #mochat8:36 PM Apr 30th, 2013

http://t.co/LnN5UF9UEe, anyone? #Anyone? #Bueller? #mochat8:36 PM Apr 30th, 2013

It’s rare to get an opportunity that you don’t ask for. But when you get it, prove yourself. And share your successes. Notworking. #MoChat8:36 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Sorry missing #mochat tonight, freelance deadline noon tommorow… neck deep in keyframes and expressions:) Catch ya next time:)8:37 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I started to learn with 3.5 but didnt get my chops till 5.5 and IM not talking CS either #mochat8:37 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I honestly haven’t been there in a while. #mochat8:37 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Hey guys lucky for you I made it tonight #mochat8:38 PM Apr 30th, 2013

#mochat I’m late to this.A: 1st job was facility graveyard shift VHS tape duplicator”. Networked w/clients & freelancer onboard8:38 PM Apr 30th, 2013

all in the obsolete folder? Ima feel old when particular ends up there.. 8( #mochat8:38 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I started on 4. When I tell people their first reaction is “You’ve only been on since CS4?!” #mochat8:38 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I got into AE on version 5.5 #mochat8:38 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Did you ever run into issues of “stealing” clients from the house, or was it different enough work? #mochat8:39 PM Apr 30th, 2013

OMG, ppl think CS4? LOL #mochat8:39 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I wish work allowed that url..but some how it got blocked late in the year and I cannot get back on it.. #mochat8:39 PM Apr 30th, 2013

aye.. we had 3.5 but no one knew how to work it.. and it was SLOW.. 5.5 was a great jump #mochat8:40 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Yep. Have to remind them that we’re actually on AE v11. #mochat8:40 PM Apr 30th, 2013

RT : A lot of first jobs seem to happen by knowing the right person (or the right person knowing you). #mochat8:40 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’m hoping to meet up with you soon at the next AE User Group in MN. Was thrilled to hear one existed. #mochat8:41 PM Apr 30th, 2013

: I was unemployed and a friend suggested I apply to a post-facility looking for graveyard machine room VHS tape duplicators.” #mochat8:41 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Oh my first job in the industry was as a PA for a local TV station #mochat8:41 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I have to look up when the next one is. Hopefully I won’t be out of town. #mochat8:41 PM Apr 30th, 2013

my first job. Weekend dj for an oldies station.. used to play back “Dick Clark’s Rock Roll and Remember” on Vinyl 8) #mochat8:41 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Vinyl – the real good ole days! #mochat8:42 PM Apr 30th, 2013

And what was the transition? #mochat8:42 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I go to #AdobeMax regularly and started attending #creativemornings. Also LinkedIn User groups. #MoChat8:42 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I haven’t been to the MN AE user group in ages, they happen so sporadically that I always miss it! #mochat8:42 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’ve toyed with going back to LinkedIn. Is there actually a decent mograph community? #mochat8:43 PM Apr 30th, 2013

On the FB page, Scott mentioned the next one being after the release of CS Next. #MoChat8:43 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I honestly wouldn’t mind getting the MN AE group to meet more often. #MoChat8:43 PM Apr 30th, 2013

RT : Welcome to #mochat everyone! Tonight’s topic is landing that first gig & networking to get the next.8:44 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Aye, gotta remember to turn it a 1/4 way for preroll, also loading a 1 inch, took some hand/eye 8) that i had.. #mochat8:44 PM Apr 30th, 2013

What’s the split for referral jobs from clients vs other designers for you? #mochat8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I think I’m going to try to organize an “unofficial” AE meet-up over beers soon here. I think it’d be beneficial. #mochat8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

oops. Sorry forgot to HASHTAG #mochat on those last few responses. 🙁8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

well I moved over to a local affiliate ABC station, worked my way up from camera, audio, graphics, directing, live news. #mochat8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

And when dubbing 2″, you need to clean the heads as you dub #mochat8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Might be a little late to the post #mochat hangout. or might be able to get it started if I am not on time everyone.8:45 PM Apr 30th, 2013

These are good suggestions. Thanks! #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

8 yrs later I left and did commercial production editing ie “used car” ads.. then went into corporate video.. #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I got 70% of my work from other artists/producers and directors … Clients don’t usually have a clue who I am #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

It happens to the best of us. (Me included… which is embarrassing.) #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

There is a big group of mograph people here in Mpls, I hardly know anyone that goes to the usergroup meetings anymore. #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

aye remember that the match frame doesn’t work the first time on the ADO. #mochat8:46 PM Apr 30th, 2013

1st full time Mograph job was trading AE training for access to DDR for anim. layoff. 16 yrs. later I’m still there #mochat8:47 PM Apr 30th, 2013

It’s not to bad actually but I don’t find it as engaging as this. Though of course a group like this could be started. #MoChat8:47 PM Apr 30th, 2013

You can tell how old we are by the equipment we worked on #mochat8:47 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I started in offline editing, then I tried VJing and I felt the need to make my own footage so I jumped to mograph. #mochat 8:47 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Oh! When do they meet? And where? I’m definitely interested. #mochat8:47 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I still want to get into VJing… Just never sat down with it long enough. #mochat8:48 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Agreed. Clients don’t really have a clue who we are. #mochat8:48 PM Apr 30th, 2013

speak for yourself im still 10 on the inside. 8P #mochat8:49 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Who are these people! We need a meetup. #mochat8:49 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Agreed! Here, here! #mochat8:49 PM Apr 30th, 2013

LOL! I didnt say mental or spiritual age #mochat8:50 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Well that’s the problem, no where organized. We should schedule up a happy hour or something soon #mochat8:50 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Yes, yes we should. #mochat8:51 PM Apr 30th, 2013

So we’re approaching the final minutes of #mochat8:52 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Based on last week’s #mochat, I’ve been keeping track of local MoGraphers. I’ll try to put something together here.8:52 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Just don’t make it on a Thursday night… #mochat8:53 PM Apr 30th, 2013

1st job in Post via friend. 1st VFX internship via friend. 1st VFX Supe Job via friend. 1st MoGraph job via friend #mochat8:53 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Share any last tips or questions about landing that first gig & networking! #mochat8:53 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I don’t think I’ve met any of the local #mochat people in person before, I don’t know why this hasn’t happend sooner. #mochat8:54 PM Apr 30th, 2013

ahem or tuesday night? #mochat8:54 PM Apr 30th, 2013

But the agencies/prod-cos are your clients. I just meant nondesigners vs designers. #mochat8:54 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Actually, a #mochat while also having a meetup/lan party would be awesome.8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

go for it! It’s fun really to get out from the studio every now and then, showing off our visuals, enjoying the music #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Do you have a Twitter list of the local designers? #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’ll aim for something at least two weeks in advanced, so people can figure out their schedules. Maybe a Tuesday? #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I’ve been putting one together… Only 8 or so, so far. #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

well all my jobs Ive gotten from conversations with friends.. “hey so and so is hiring.. this looks up your alley” bing… #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

How did you get that work? Knowing someone or just starting to do stuff & got noticed? #mochat8:55 PM Apr 30th, 2013

but what if you suck at music (like me haha) #mochat8:56 PM Apr 30th, 2013

wait lan party? dayuum.. I wanna go now.. #mochat8:57 PM Apr 30th, 2013

It’ll happen soon. 🙂 #mochat8:57 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Yep. Everyone fires up After Effects and we get to see who’s running pirated Trapcode plugins with the same serials. #mochat8:57 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Dont say ucan, when u can’t. Dont b greedy. Ok to say “I don’t know” long as u say “But I’ll find out” Focus, Simplify. #mochat8:58 PM Apr 30th, 2013

everyone sucks at something, its what you do with it that… no wait that doesnt make any sense.. nevermind… #mochat8:58 PM Apr 30th, 2013

I may mention something on the FB group about it as well. #mochat8:58 PM Apr 30th, 2013

how (I think) to get work: work really hard, make good shit (within budgets) talk/befriend fellow artist and don’t be a diva #mochat8:58 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Awesome. Let me know! I work right downtown, I’ll invite the people in town that I know #mochat8:59 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Jobs can come from anywhere. I was a film major, but 1st b’cast work was for guy who taught an elective I took for fun. #mochat8:59 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Ronn I suck at alot of things … Music is just one of those things that I’m really bad at at haha #mochat8:59 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Perfect! Will do! Looking forward to this! #mochat8:59 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Alright everyone, that about does it for #MoChat tonight. Look for the transcript on in the coming days.9:00 PM Apr 30th, 2013

Thanks for coming out for #MoChat. Keep the conversation going. And as always… #GoMakeSomething!9:00 PM Apr 30th, 2013