Last night on MoChat we talked about working solo or on a team. It seems most people chatting last night fly solo, while a few work on teams. The teams tended to be pretty small with only a handful of designers on average. A lot of what people said they like about teams is the social aspect (being able to trouble-shoot & bounce ideas around), being able to compensate for one persons weaknesses with another’s strengths, and being able to produce stronger work overall. Some of the troubles teams are said to run into are scaling (1+1 doesn’t always equal 2), conflicting personalities & egos, and sometimes getting type-cast on abilities.

For soloists, people tended to enjoy freedom both creatively and with schedule and getting to work on many different aspects of a project. The downsides, though, included missing having people around to trouble-shoot/bounce ideas off of, competing with teams/not getting to skill level desired, and having to deal with business duties.

There’s some great discussion in this chat, so be sure to read the entire transcript of nearly 300 posts.

[learn_more caption=”Transcript”]

Welcome to #mochat everyone! Tonight we’re talking solo vs team/studio work & environments.9:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

First a quick tally. Who works solo & who works on a team? (Or if you work for a company, are you part of a team or is it just you?) #mochat9:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

#mochat I even like showing stuff to non-creatives just to hear what they see. At times they see goofy things we miss!9:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

#mochat, currently solo but it’s possible I’ll be on a team early next year9:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I work solo #mochat9:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Solo freelance. #mochat9:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

#mochat I work daily with a team and freelance periodically by myself.9:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Freelance is completely solo. Work is at a company, mostly solo, but with a creative director and other still-designers. #mochat9:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Work as part of a team at company #mochat9:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Work at a company solo as of right now. but also freelance solo. #mochat9:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

team effort during the day and solo at night. also, han shot first. #mochat9:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Solo as a freelancer and solo when I was part of a company. Had few opportunities to be a member of team/studio #mochat9:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

So all the motion is on your shoulders? #mochat9:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i dont count that as a company. sorry dude #mochat9:04 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yep. I might get assets from other designers or work with CD on direction, but it’s mostly up to me. #mochat9:04 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Had been part of a team, now flying solo on 2 different spots. Both setups at Imaginary Forces #mochat9:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

stay on target! I worked other places too :p #mochat9:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

shut up. ill tell you where you worked if i want to. #mochat9:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

For those at a studio/team, what is the personnel makeup? How many designers, CDs, producers, etc on a given project? #mochat9:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

: just started working with a team.” #mochat9:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Definitely prefer working on a team, esp a team w the same set of people. Building a shorthand & momentum is underrated by producers #mochat9:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I’m staff at a company where I’m a department of one with occasional help from a freelancer. #mochat9:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That’s the way I worked at two different places in Madison. Visuality and MPI. Would like to be on a team out here. #mochat9:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

When I was at a studio on my old job, it was client-driven with usually one designer, so almost solo. #mochat9:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I like it solo #mochat9:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Very small team. Two or three producers per project. One or two editors/mographer #mochat9:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

There’s a joke there. #mochat9:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Awesome. #mochat9:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

: mainly I work on a team. Small team but a great team.” #mochat9:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Per project but usually a designer, me for motion, 1 or two others for feedback or help. #mochat9:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

On Person Of Interest: 2 artists, 1 Art Director, 1 freelance styleframe artist, 1 Producer, & an editor for 3 days #mochat9:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

you need to get your mind out of the gutter! #mochat9:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

For the people in the Studio/Team, do you ever run into the “too many cooks in the kitchen” ? #mochat9:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the designers are limited to 5. The rest can help with other bits in the pipeline that might need work once in a while. #mochat9:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

several teams, handling various projects, one AD per team, one CD, many producers #mochat9:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

On short films, usually a writer, a director/shooter, me as VFX with maybe another, and a designer. #mochat9:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

For me that mostly comes from client/agencies rather than the studio/designers. #mochat9:10 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

michael bay uses a team of 1…. its name is TNT #mochat9:10 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

It’s a tough, tough situation for certain. Usually it’s the team rallying against the agency or client #moChat9:11 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

always… #mochat9:11 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

agree with that about client: We liked it, but we’re going to pass it around the office and see what others say. #mochat9:11 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

One thing I miss about having other motion designers around me is getting specific feedback. #mochat9:12 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I like smaller teams it keeps things tight and you can be in a couple peoples heads to work together. #mochat9:12 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Toughest job is Art Director’s. Managing team’s creative input while maintaining his vision & satisfying client’s needs #moChat9:12 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

yeah, story of my life. and it comes back with ‘its good but we hate it can you make it more blue?” #mochat9:12 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the animation side of our team is 5 people and we are usually working on 4 different lessons. #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Let’s start the list. First teams: what works, what doesn’t? #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Me as VFX/compositor while others will range from modeller and rigger,animator ,lighting artist and texture,concept artist. #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I think small teams, even internally, tend to be the better way. Instead of Group A works on it, Group B approves art direction. #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Too many cooks sometimes, but mostly there is enough respect for opinions and final decisions. #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

kind of a mix between solo and team #mochat9:13 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I miss that, too, as there is no one around me. Not even a cat. 🙁 #mochat9:14 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I do have other great designers and a great CD, but they don’t have the experience & vocabulary I’m used to. #mochat9:14 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

One difficulty with a team is convincing producers that 1+1 does not always equal 2. Scaling is tough #moChat #mochat9:15 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

should i come down to the cities and bring my copy of hoocked on fonixe for them? #mochat9:16 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I had to join twitter because my office is too small and no one wants to talk about/cares about motion graphics! #mochat9:16 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Managing growth of team members is tough too. Avoid pigeonholing artists into repetitive tasks but maintain efficiency #mochat9:16 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Hey, it worked for me. #mochat9:16 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

especially when a cd or project lead already said ‘yea of course we can do that in ten minutes” #moChat #mochat9:17 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Vocabulary is very important! I’ve found myself agreeing with someone without knowing it! #mochat9:17 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

maybe there should be a network for freelancers to get feedback from one another? #mochat9:18 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

whats work and doesn’t work depends on the kind of work. Sometimes a team works well especially if it short deadline. #mochat9:18 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Teams are great for bouncing ideas around or delegating tasks. But it’s also easy to get caught in minutia. #mochat9:18 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

What do you mean by that? #mochat9:18 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Was going to bring this up later, but biggest problem is not being able to share work until it’s done. #mochat9:19 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

And soloists… what do you like about it and what’s not so great? #mochat9:20 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

problem is some may rip your work off before it goes to the client. Unless it is a demoreel. #mochat9:20 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

you should ask about that…. #mochat9:20 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Best way seems to be finding people here, then getting opinions privately. #mochat #solo #feedback9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That’s why I started! #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

knows all about work getting ripped off. #sad #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Adding another animator doesn’t necessarily mean everything animation-related gets done 2X faster #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I definitely long for constructive input and general creative conversations. Twitter has become that. #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I know! totally stole my demo reel. #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

mine too dude. freaking thief that one is #mochat9:21 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

you are right. The amount of 3d needed in a project determines if a team is necessary or not #mochat9:22 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

NO! Dividing up animation is damn near impossible. #mochat9:22 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Great to have the creative freedom, but hard to get past blocks without others to bounce ideas or trouble-shoot with. #mochat9:22 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Its more about planning. #mochat9:22 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

My take: teams are great for bouncing ideas back & forth. Also, much easier to laugh and therefore makes the days better. #mochat9:22 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i love twitter for its ability to get honest fast feedback, and i can screw with people too #mochat9:23 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

It takes a great producer. Division of labor is key. And understanding artists’ strengths #moChat9:23 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yeah, and sometimes not even then! #mochat9:23 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I was just about to say: add to team to fill in for weaknesses. #mochat9:23 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I don’t enjoy working solo sometimes because I often would love to improve the look of an animation but there is not enough time #mochat9:24 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The best thing about a team used to be having someone who can help problem solve. W Dropbox, Skype & twitter we all have that now #mochat9:24 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

My take on working solo: you get to avoid gossip, days are more flexible, commute is better 🙂 #mochat9:24 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Getting back to teams, one thing that’s coming up is division of labor. How’s your team set up? Different duties (rigging,lighting)? #mochat9:25 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

oh man, no drama is awesome for quality of work. #mochat9:26 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The number one positive: the ability to say “no, I will not sell your snake oil.” #mochat9:26 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Office gossip/politics is one thing I’m getting used to being on a staff position now. It’s weird. #mochat9:26 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I understand now, thank you. #mochat9:27 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Never been on a big team. Most division at the old studio was an editor, a designer, a sound mixer. #mochat9:27 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

ya. I need to find some more #mochat friends. I ride solo way too often.9:27 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I’ve never been able to get used to it. Reminds me of high school. #mochat9:27 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

This is a good place to find them. #mochat9:27 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

same here. i wear headphones even when im not using them so i can stay away from that crap #mochat9:28 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Truth. It has been spoken. #mochat9:28 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Highschool never ends. #mochat9:28 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Partially why I want the team exp. What’s the division of labor? My work -> improve, methinks. #mochat9:29 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

it’s an outstanding community here! #mochat9:30 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

get off my lawn Colton! #mochat9:30 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

♫Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started flinging shit to make them feel better… ♫ #mochat9:30 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

One thing of working in a team is if you have good simulators for particles in 3d package rather than #aeparticular. Pays dividens. #mochat9:31 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yup!! #mochat9:31 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

It’s an outstanding community, except for that grumpy old man, Charles. Haha. #mochat9:31 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

OIY! #mochat9:32 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Many times I will help someone with there animation by using expressions or tricks/tips to solve their problems. #mochat9:32 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

went from staff @ small studio to freelancing at larger studio. Def more personalities, different perspectives, etc I’m enjoying it #mochat9:32 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Or anything, really. Being a one-man-show you have to be good in as many things as possible. Which rarely works out. #mochat9:32 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Was the only mogfx guy at one place & now work w/ a team of 4. Its great to have others feedback who speak the same language. #mochat9:33 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

usually boards are done by everyone. Then duties split. usually, a person handles severals aspects of the project #mochat9:33 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

For soloists looking for help w/trouble-shooting/feedback, how do you go about that if you can’t share works-in-progress publicly? #mochat9:33 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The number one positive: the ability to say “no, I will not sell your snake oil.” #mochat9:33 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

You would think Cpt America would have a sunnier disposition. #mochat9:34 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

whats great us being able to make decisions fast. #mochat9:34 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Finding ways to separate the work intelligently w/ bruising egos or slowing down the process #mochat9:35 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

When I have trouble and can’t share publicly, I try to make it to my liking/research similar styles #mochat9:35 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

for help: google, twitter, gchat with fellow chicago mographers #mochat9:36 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

When I’m solo I find that I don’t run into that many problems. I stick to creating problems I know I can solve. #mochat9:36 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Especially since the outside world doesn’t immediately understand there are different disciplines. #mochat9:36 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Almost want to set up a site for private sharing with pop-up NDAs. Though it would still violate existing NDAs. #mochat9:37 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

it helps to have talented designer friends you can hit up on AIM 🙂 #mochat9:37 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

After we offer a critique we sing “I’m sorry that I kicked you in the faaaace!” #mochat9:37 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I keep reminding people about 3D and how it can be one person’s job to just place lights. #mochat9:37 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I’m wondering what downsides solo/freelancers find in working on your own… #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

maybe this is why my designs have started to all look the same 🙁 #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Sometimes I create a piece of work and can’t quite decide whether it’s really great or truly awful! #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I would agree with all those. No more competition with co-workers is a blessing. #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Asking friends who are artists in other fields to stop by. #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That would be great! And expiration dates for the posts maybe? #mochat9:38 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Not having people to bounce ideas off of or troubleshoot with. Also have to be jack-of-all-trades. #mochat9:39 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

If time allows, sleeping on it helps. #mochat9:39 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

fair enough – do you ever miss being in an office with other peeps? #mochat9:39 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the downside is people are pushing alot of 3d into motion graphics,even had to create a plugin. #mochat9:40 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

My big downside as a solo artist is not having an advocate / producer to handle business side / negotiations. #mochat9:40 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Nice. #mochat9:40 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

being stuck in a creative rut and doing the same type of ‘style’ is a big downside for solo I have found #mochat9:41 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

hello peeps sorry for chiming in late.. #mochat9:41 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

makes for two of us #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Love being able to say “whoah, how’d you do that?” Sharing is caring. #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

welcome back! #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

slackers #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

for shame.. 8) #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yeah. Being solo, you still have to compete with full studios because the client wants to make Toy Story. #mochat9:42 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yes. It’s a job in and of itself. #mochat9:43 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

and they want the toy story in short amount of time. #mochat.9:44 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

if I worked from home, I’d be home by now.. 8) #mochat9:44 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Working late? #mochat9:44 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

yeah right, i bet he is playing halo #mochat9:45 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

from the studio side, those clients who want Toy Story are sometimes flocking to freelancers because of budget concerns. #mochat9:45 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

So for those who have been on both sides of the solo/ team shop side: which grass is greener? #mochat9:45 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The problem comes from people who don’t/won’t/can’t say no to that. #mochat9:45 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

that would be Capt. Asshole, not America… dumbass. >_< #mochat9:45 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

aye back from Travel. got slammed with a last min project due in 2 days. client seated right beside me the whole day. #yay #mochat9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

To be honest? Finding a way to do both w/o getting overloaded or going broke #mochat9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the grass on the other side #mochat9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Whoo! Finally made it for the last bit. Working late 🙁 What is the current question? #mochat9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

when you are a solo designer it is easy to take shortcuts and not push yourself. #mochat Art Directors are good butt kickers9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Grass is always greener on the other side isn’t it? #mochat9:46 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

they do flock freelancers. But they will push you to the limit of getting their idea across. #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

see: http://t.co/xMxrd8mD its the other side #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I’m expecting an img or a vid with that response 😉 #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Working with and always pushed me to try new things and stretch my creativity. #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

you got it buddy! #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

dude! Lightining fast reflexes!! You are a bad ass! #mochat9:47 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Anyone talk about pros and cons of working solo versus under a creative director? #mochat9:48 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Being solo does require a lot of self-motivation to grow. #mochat9:48 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

yes, and if you had been here, part of this team, you would know that. o.O #mochat9:48 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The grass is greener where you cultivate it! Snap! 😉 #mochat9:48 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I werks in a team environment yet everyone approaches projects as a soloist. we still bounce ideas off each other but ideas on #mochat9:48 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Not specifically, but it’s been covered a little bit. Do you have any wisdom on that front? #mochat9:49 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

establishing more collaboration or even sharing workflow or editing / AE stuffs? #mochat9:49 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Dick! 🙂 #mochat9:49 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

we work very much the same way we have all our own projects but every project is a team effort, no creative directors #mochat9:49 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I think its simple if you have access to a team just utilize it, if not you just got to do it Solo #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

No… My Director is hell to work with. I wanted wisdom from my peers here. #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Working in, and succeeding in, a team environment #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i wont be providing an img or video for that one.. sorry #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the best of both worlds and a hard one to balance i’d imagine #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

it is always fun working with designers who have complementary strengths. #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

personally I dont see how I could do it. I have my own work, organization, style, how do you share projects as such? just curious #mochat9:50 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i struggle with it. some days im glad to be with a team and other days i just want to do it my way #mochat9:51 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

good point. #mochat9:51 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

it’s easy to burn out in a team if the studio is busy, sometimes tough to keep the freelance coming in when solo #mochat9:51 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

it’s easy to share projects when you start on them together. Not so much when they’re passed around like a hot potato. #mochat9:51 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

is he / she on twitter?! #mochat9:51 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Working in, and succeeding in, a team envirmnt requires trust and mutual respect. If that is not there, the ppl and the work suffer #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Good point. How does someone work in a team when they don’t agree/get along? #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I mean Im willing, want to share.. but If I have to then go back a rework someone elses AE work because they went “creative” #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

At my current employment, I enjoy my team, but I like the control of handling a video on my own sometimes too. Need balance. #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i wear headphones, and my crazy A.D.D helps too #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Those of you solo peeps: if you work from home, how do you handle the kids factor (if you have any)? #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

yeah Ive done that with another editor and we discuss what part each of us will take on.. but I have this idea that ppl #mochat9:52 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

can just randomly pick up a work in progress and move it forward. am I just silly? #mochat9:53 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

and that sir, is why i dont to a lot of freelance #mochat9:53 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

The worst part of multiple people is the messy folder situation. Assets are all over the place… #mochat9:53 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That’s rough. Most of my home work is after they’ve gone to bed. Helps if the wife is around to help wrangle. #mochat9:53 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Benadryl? #mochat9:53 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

if all fails then we have 50/50 rule. Ie we take 50 percent your idea and 50% the other persons. #mochat9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

haha, I guess I have mustaches on the mind…and misinterpreted #mochat for a movember hash! (but you would look good in a stache)9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I hope! And I hope they hear it too. Because they need to. #mochat9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

your kids dont see you working. they see you at the desk on the computer ignoring them. thats not healthy. #mochat9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Agreed. “: #mochat I am confident that constructive criticism in creative group environments greatly improves the final product.”9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Posthaste is my friend #mochat9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

shhhh! Don’t give away ALL the answers! #mochat #timedtestlater9:54 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

work as far away from the play area as possible, but my guy is only 11 months… so time will tell. #mochat9:55 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

are you kidding me.. I couldnt work from home if I tried. #distraction.. however on travel is a totally diff story #mochat9:55 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

: #mochat” Duct tape?9:55 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

not with Dropbox and ae folder organisation scripts. #mochat9:55 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

: #mochat I am confident that constructive criticism in creative group environments greatly improves the final product.” #mochat9:55 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

this x10000 #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I am all for Posthaste! Haha. Some coworkers don’t admit to having an organizational problem though! #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Oh, and there has to be organization in project files when in a team env. Too much time is spent figuring stuff out than working #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Woo, ! #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Best I can do in my situation, is often bite the bullet. Sometime they do go with my idea or experience, but not often. #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Tru dat just getting another set of eyeballs on your stuff helps out. #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

a serious statement like that from ME, you know its true. >< #mochat9:56 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Let us not discuss messy folders. <shudder> #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i like you even if your team doesnt dude #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Don’t forget about using templates on a network share. Keeps everyone consistent. #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

also purchasing chubaka poster might keep them away. You tell them it is a scary scary monster. #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

or PS and AE files with 100’s of layers named Layer 43 or solid 95 #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Mentioned before (and I’m biased), but is great for that kind of thing. #mochat9:57 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Ha, it’s a wonderful app! I have it and had coworkers install it. But, they STILL don’t use it O.o #mochat9:58 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I hear you I hate helping someone comp shots and can’t find the crap I need #mochat9:58 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

post haste – looks useful! What else are people using for organization in a studio? #mochat9:58 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

ahhh shucks 🙂 #mochat9:58 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Solid 95 so totally pissed me off today.. i might add #mochat9:58 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Thank god that I’m usually the only one messing with AE. #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

All in all, its whatever it takes to get the work done. Just dream of a better situation where we share ideas, not force them. #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

what about adjustment layer 108 #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

We’re just about out of time. In the last few minutes, what’s one thing you love about your situation and one thing you’d change? #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

There is an awesome AE script for hiding stuff I use, can’t remember the name of it though #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Do you name solids when you make them, or just rename the layer in the timeline? #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

A circle of Hell that Dante forgot to mention. #mochat9:59 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i love being with creative like minds. id change that they all buy me buffalo wings everyday, cause they dont. #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Isolate, you can get it at – it’s terrific! #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Sadly thats not what happens at my work. Its my way, or the highway philosophy. And its garbage. #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Ive downloaded posthaste twice already I just need to start using it. 8) also that editable pallets script as well.. ughh #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Im a renamer.. #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

True. Having project templates helps by having folders already set up in AE/FCP/Premiere, though. #mochat10:00 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Is that it? I was just trying to figure out what the sin it was #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I love the process with others that makes the product great– better than I can do alone. #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

also love that my company has various themed rooms/places where you can break away to for inspiration/de-blocking #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Yeah. My project panel has Black Solid 1, but the timeline will have “Vignette”, “Horizon”, “Base Particles”, etc. #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I think you CAN establish healthy boundaries. My kids are 6 & 8 and I’ve worked from home for almost 6 yrs. All good! #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Love: people, laughing, feedback, helping coworkers. Change: gossip, clearer lines of communication #mochat10:01 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I am lead animator at my place. Love the leadership. But my director often strips that role completely. So there you have it. #mochat10:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

i think your kids are not as evil as mine hahaha #mochat10:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

im working with a 5 year old and a 1 year old #mochat10:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Love: Doing cool stuff. Not So Much: Not doing enough cool stuff. #mochat10:02 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I think Zorro is what I was thinking of http://t.co/eeXe0UDW #mochat10:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

yeah.. or the Questions “how’d you do that?” Um idont know.. means “I’d rather not say because I think its job security” #mochat10:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I think we are reminding each other of complimentary practices! 😉 #mochat10:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

once they’re of this age, and out of the house half the day, it eases up. it’s the lil ones that make it rough #mochat10:03 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That sounds cool. #mochat10:04 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Love that everything seems new. Laid back environment. But, I wish we had more graphic heavy jobs #mochat10:04 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I can’t believe I was part of a whole #mochat! Usually a catch the tail end because I was doing something else.10:04 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

That would be tough, most everyone trusts my ability and only questions creative differences, usually I get my way #mochat10:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

little man pissed on the floor after his bath tonight and got excited about the distance lol #mochat10:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

I will be setting up a hangout via G+ here after #mochat. Tweet me if you want in on that jazz 🙂10:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

what did you guys do about day care in the early days of working with kids? #mochat10:05 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Well, that about does it for tonight everyone. Be sure to look for the transcript tomorrow. #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Chip off the old block eh? #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Next week’s chat will be headed by as I’ll be traveling for the holiday. Topic: collecting resources. #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

my daughter was in daycare most of the day since my wife worked too #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Thanks for coming out everyone. And as always, #GoMakeSomething! #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Wooo! #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Hahaha! Yup it’ll all change in a few yrs. definitely helps once they start school, etc. #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

thanks again! #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

now my daughter is in kindergarten so she is there most all day #mochat10:06 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Thanks and thanks ! Peace out, everyone. #mochat10:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Thanks a ton! Awesome hanging out with everyone tonight! Much better than TV. #mochat rules!10:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

My director thinks they are God’s gift to design. The ego thing is outrageous. #mochat10:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

= win #mochat10:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

the wife is home all day now, so ethan stays home #mochat10:07 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Love: Working fast, intuitively, making decisions, not having to check in with hierarchy of stakeholders, etc. #mochat10:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Rock it Justin. Good topic! #mochat10:08 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

Been a long time since I’ve made it to a #mochat nice chatting with you guys again even if it was just for 10 minutes #mochat10:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

in the hot seat!! 8) #mochat10:09 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

better you than me. RT : My director thinks they are Gods gift to design. The ego thing is outrageous. #mochat10:10 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

There’ll be a transcript up tomorrow. Join us next week! #mochat10:10 PM EST Nov 13th, 2012

[/learn_more]