Last night, MoChat covered self-promotion and business. It was a broad topic that yielded a lot of separate conversations. Some advice that seemed to resonate with people last night, in no particular order:

• Network with people. A lot of work comes from referrals.
  • Keep making things and showing them to people.
  • It’s expensive, but get insurance.
  • Make sure to have a reel that shows your various skill-sets. [Ed. Note: but don’t mix things like editing, directing, motion design, etc all into one reel.]
  • If you’re promoting yourself on Twitter, try to keep posts on-topic & focussed.
  • Make sure to set aside money for quarterly taxes.
  • “Not having a boss” is a myth of freelance. Your clients (and you) are very much the boss.
  • If you’re able, draw up contracts or at least agreements with clients before projects start. Make sure everyone’s on the same page.
  • Try to get some percentage of money up front, if possible.
  • When making the jump to full-time freelance, make sure you have a few months of “salary” saved up as a buffer.
  • Maintain a relationship with your clients.
  • Ask for referrals from current clients.
  • Knowing a lawyer can be very helpful. [@invrsleep found this resource.]
  • Coop spaces are a great alternative to working at home.
  • Setting up your own LLC (or even S-Corp) can be a good way to go, but know the consequences of doing so.
  • Never stop learning.

Transcript

Welcome to tonight’s #mochat. We’re talking self-promotion & business.7:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Disclaimer: don’t take any legal or financial advice from tonight without first talking to a lawyer or CPA in your area. #mochat7:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah brad, you’re the king of freelance right now! Although I think you bribe all your clients with free beer 😉 #mochat8:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

To start things off, who’s thinking of taking the plunge & doing full-time freelance, whether under a business or by yourself? #mochat8:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I started in March #mochat8:02 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah free #craftbeer wins clients for sure! knows… #mochat8:02 PM Jul 31st, 2012

You cant ask that in the public! I am so loyal to the company I work for #mochat #maybeinthefuture8:03 PM Jul 31st, 2012

how has it been so far? #mochat8:04 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah that’s a sneaky question. We’d need fake twitter handles. I filed LLC just yesterday though #mochat8:04 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Ha. Fair enough all. Well, if you were curious about how it’s done, what would you want to know? #mochat8:05 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I am interested in hearing about that process and how itll help you and your company. #mochat8:05 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s been great so far! I couldn’t have done it without the connections/experience I got working at studios though. #mochat8:05 PM Jul 31st, 2012

LLC, he’s bonafide. sorry #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I definitely like to know the perks #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Biggest thing is to build up a client list, even if it’s just for small things. #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’m pretty new to the field and would like pointers on how to get my name out there. How did you guys do that when u first started? #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve done freelance in the past but operated as an individual… not as an LLC. If I ever jump back in, LLC all the way #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

congrats! #mochat8:06 PM Jul 31st, 2012

How was the start? Rocky, burning into savings, etc. What kind of things surprised you? #mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

keep networking. Like on here. Network network and do great work. Then network some more #mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat see I like my gig but I’d also like to work on some freelance.8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’d like to know how many of you freelancers use an LLC or know how to set one up #Mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

what’s the diff indie versus llc? #mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

LLC owners, what prompted you to go that route over just working under your own name as a sole-proprietor? #mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

craftbeer brought me in, now it’s out greatest leverage… #mochat8:07 PM Jul 31st, 2012

know people, make awesome work. In reverse order of that. #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Mostly how taxes are filed and personal/corporate liability. #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I overlapped, doing freelance for 1.5 years while working at studios, so the transition was smooth. Had time to build a client base. #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Never went LLC just sole proprietor. #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

What are the advantages of an LLC? #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

made it 🙂 #mochat8:08 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve somehow managed to be doing a full time and 20 hours a week give our take freelance. slaves me. #mochat8:09 PM Jul 31st, 2012

That’s the best way to do it IMHO. Let’s you meet more people and keeps you afloat in slower times. #mochat8:09 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat seems to me, if your new, you’d have to lowball yourself(bad idea) just to get ur foot in the door. But then your the lowball guy.8:09 PM Jul 31st, 2012

in the event of a law suit your protected as an individual #mochat8:09 PM Jul 31st, 2012

You’re also selling your own presets/stock to other designers. How has that helped you work-wise? #mochat8:10 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If you dont mind me asking, did you have to initially take a pay-cut doing it? (Healthcare/taxes/expenses/etc) #mochat8:10 PM Jul 31st, 2012

: I’d love to sustain freelance full time. Stop workin for the man and all.” #mochat8:10 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve gotten jobs just because I know people on twitter and no other reason. Even had to dump pdf a few #mochat8:10 PM Jul 31st, 2012

PSA: Remember to tag your tweet with #mochat to be sure everyone sees them.8:11 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I didunt say nothin’! #mochat more like #nochat8:11 PM Jul 31st, 2012

: ha, need a poll to see how many people lost their jobs tomorrow.” #mochat8:11 PM Jul 31st, 2012

No pay cut, I make more per hour, but I do have to buy my own health insurance which sucks. #mochat #mochat8:11 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yea I totally realized that after I hit send #mochat8:12 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Buying your own health insurance can suck big time. Especially if you have a family… #mochat8:12 PM Jul 31st, 2012

You don’t have to be an LLC or a c corp. in the beginning. You can also work under a studio name and not your own. #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’d say to anyone going freelance, don’t be afraid to charge much more for your work than if you’re staff. You have more overhead. #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Isnt buying your own Healthcare the same, only you have to pick instead of your employer? #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

once my evil spawn goes to sleep I’ll be slaving away tonight lol #mochat #freelance8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

S corp sorry #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

That’s a good point. You can work under an assumed name without filing as a company. #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

you never gave me no job and I know you on twitter #mochat #mochat8:13 PM Jul 31st, 2012

that’s a dreaded pitfall. For freelancers or new company. Lowball work is a race to the bottom. #mochat Stick to your guns and costs8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

How do you balance family life & working off-hours freelance? It’s always a struggle for me. #mochat8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve heard one thing that’s hard about freelance is that your boss is always a slave driver. #mochat8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Y i still have a fulltime gig: RT Buying your own health insurance can suck big time. Especially if you have a family… #mochat8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

your work speaks for itself. Have a versatile reel that shows off all your talents, scour job boards like…it’s your job #mochat8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat one nice thing of the LLC with the tax ID it helps you get a business bank account and build that credit under your business name.8:14 PM Jul 31st, 2012

hahah. Blind ITEM people. http://t.co/d3seHZBO #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

no if you work for a company you get a group plan that is better/cheaper than buying as an individual #mochat #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s more expensive to get individual coverage. Right before we cut our coverage, we were paying nearly $1k/month. #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

get your own work hippy! #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It also helps force you to keep a budget and keep things separate. #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : I’ve heard one thing that’s hard about freelance is that your boss is always a slave driver. #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve been freelancing almost every night for the last 2 years alongside my fulltime job. Its hard to balance life this way. #mochat8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat my first mochat. So much to read8:15 PM Jul 31st, 2012

no one is harder on yourself and your work then you. #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

thats what I do now too #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Very true. #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

you can apply for a tax ID with out LLC just can’t cross it w/SSN #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I just went on http://t.co/Bv49n2qL, it directed me to my state site where you can file your LLC papers for $100 #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Do you have to pay to get an LLC? #mochat #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Very badly actually, I tend to get yelled that quite a bit #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

paying well over that for family coverage. and double what we were a couple years ago for worse coverage #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Right. I have a baby now and I just took a full time position after 3 yrs freelance #mochat8:16 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I hated that lifestyle, you should take the plunge. #mochat8:17 PM Jul 31st, 2012

it’s that Colin again. Never thought I’d see your ugly mug round these parts again! #mochat8:17 PM Jul 31st, 2012

MOCHAT | If you plan to use Twitter to promote yourself, keep your tweets focused and informative. Don’t get lost in the noise. #mochat8:17 PM Jul 31st, 2012

good lord, does anyone know what an individual costs for health insurance? It’s only me I would need to cover. #mochat8:17 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah but it’s pretty inexpensive #mochat8:17 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yep. Our coverage went up 37%, 12% and 17% over three years. #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I have cut down on freelance because my commute is 160 miles a day, about 4 hours in the car #mochat #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Feast or famine #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

prices are all over. Can try freelancers union but there was a splinter group a few years back that started new plan #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah. It varies state by state. In Virginia it only cost $100. http://t.co/a5YRA6l6 can cost upwards of $350 #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I was quoted a minimum of $400 per month up to $700 but it’s more for us ladies. I’m on COBRA right now but that expires soon. #mochat8:18 PM Jul 31st, 2012

might be a little late for me, especially when people who know me irl have started following me #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I think that was maybe directed at me ahahahaha #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I want to know how to get clients. #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

http://t.co/whvsxaob Havent used them but i saw a bunch of people switching from FU to this #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Put away 35% for tax man in Commie wealth states anyways #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I dont even own a car, and ride a bike. But it still cuts in, commutes suck. #mochat8:19 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’d say the biggest myth about freelance is “not having a boss”. You always have a boss, whether it’s you or clients. #mochat8:20 PM Jul 31st, 2012

check out a large carrier like United Health Care #mochat8:20 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : I’d say the biggest myth about freelance is “not having a boss”. You always have a boss, whether it’s you or clients. #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Reminder anyone under 26 can still use their parents Health coverage. (I have one year left 🙁 ) #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

My process was to put 30% into a “high interest” savings account to cover estimated taxes. Then paid myself a flat rate. #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah my perk is working from home one or two days a week, but that bed to desk commute can be a killer #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Is the freelancers union an official union or a group who got together to buy insurance? Seems like a great idea. #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Its a small industry. Dont be a dick! in a few years that intern will be your producer. That assistant will be an EP. #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

What about emailing co.’s u would like 2 f-lance for? Ex. My name is … here’s what I can do, let me know if I can help? Yay or nay? #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yep! And don’t forget quarterly estimated taxes. Which I got to get used to filing now #mochat8:21 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Big question I had yesterday was payment terms with clients. Enforce a payment plan, half up front or net30 at end? All are tricky #mochat8:22 PM Jul 31st, 2012

In our industry, things (assets) depreciate pretty fast be prepared and don’t expect to “right off” everything. #mochat8:22 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Its more than insurance but that seems to be the focus. Dont have much experience there myself #mochat8:22 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’d say establish relationships with people at that company first. Anecdotally, people don’t respond to cold contact. #mochat8:22 PM Jul 31st, 2012

. How to promote yourself with twitter. Step 1) Make balls-out jaw dropping work. Step 2) Other people will tweet it #Mochat8:22 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I am sorry, holy shit I just read your tweet again, 160 miles!? DUUUUUDE!? #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

did you leave the fulltime? #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : What would you say to someone looking to procure insurance? #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s easier to set up a payment plan if you charge for a “product” vs charging hourly. #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve done that several times with mixed results. #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I freelanced for about 3 years. Fun, but worked very odd hours. Had a few times where gigs were on top of each other. 36 hour days #mochat8:23 PM Jul 31st, 2012

lol yeah 80 miles each way, I get up at 4:30am but hey I also have a roof over my head and food on the table 😉 #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

IRA Roth is a good one too #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

make sure you have lube before you procure insurance #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Save up. But get it. I’d recommend an HSA plan. Higher deductible, but lower premiums & preventative is covered. #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

my contact states no work starts till I get half up front. #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Are you still doing it? That would wear on me so bad. #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I should add that I recently left the full-time freelance life (tho more prevalence) for a full-time in-house position. #mochat8:24 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I start August 15. If any of you want interns, let me know. MUAHAHAHAHAH #mochat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Great work is a good start. #mochat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

i agree, recently i’ve also done few budget based gigs. I ask em how much they wanna pay and work base on that #mochat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah it is a good idea to get a % upfront if it is a big enough job #mochat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Any others out there who are “perma-lancers?” I have been a daily hire for one client for the past 15 years.. Not 1099 unfortunately #MoChat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yeah, get a budget from them and tell them what you can do with it. #mochat8:25 PM Jul 31st, 2012

realistically, how has that worked? I think most of my clients would abhor the idea. Is late $ better than no $ #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I was doing that pretty much the last 3 years. All 1099, though. #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah, December will be 2 years…it is tiring but at least they are flexible with me…that helps #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve been told to save up about 4-6 months of your salary before you jump to freelance for a nice cushion. #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I was a permalancer at Harpo for 6 months. 15 years is a long time! #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I will never bitch about my commute again. You, sir, are a trooper #mochat8:26 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If jumping to full-time freelance, I’d argue 8 months. Hell, try for that even if you’re staff. #mochat8:27 PM Jul 31st, 2012

maybe I can get them to buy me a drink first #mochat8:27 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Your work ethics will totally change as freelance. You will become callused. When visiting facilities, you will kick much arse… #mochat8:27 PM Jul 31st, 2012

that is a good rule #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

as long as you can still do some form of payment plan, that’s the ideal way to operate.. Esp on your own #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

it all depends. I’ve made exceptions and 9 times out of 10 I’ve been screwed on them #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

1099s are a double edged sword. Getting a mortgage with no W2s is a bitch. #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

With self motivation #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : If jumping to full-time freelance, I’d argue 8 months. Hell, try for that even if you’re staff. #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

well we all aren’t made of money, big pimpin 😉 #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Oh, god yes! So glad my wife had a W2 job at the time we bought. #mochat8:28 PM Jul 31st, 2012

How are you liking being back in a full-time position? #mochat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If you’re not getting a % up front, don’t deliver anything until at least something has been paid. #mochat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yah 1099 work vs W2; each has its pros & cons… I prefer the tax deductions a 1099 offers but my employer won’t allow it #MoChat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

One way to expand on freelance clients is to ask your current clients for referrals to other clients who may need your services #mochat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Are you LLC? I wonder if that would help in getting a mortgage? #mochat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Us single ballin’ bros are fucked. Practically have to pay cash for a house these days. #mochat8:29 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yes, yes, yes… The banks look at you as a liability. #mochat8:30 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Ha. I know. But it’s something people should strive for. Never know when something might happen. #mochat8:30 PM Jul 31st, 2012

With that in mind, make sure you maintain a great relationship with your current clients. Goes a long way. #mochat8:30 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Does having a 30-60-90 clause in a contract help get clients to pay, will they even sign a contract? #mochat8:30 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Even if you don’t need financial help, take Dave Ramsey’s Financial university course. It will change your life. I swear it. #mochat8:30 PM Jul 31st, 2012

+ 1 You’d be surprised the response you get when you just ask. #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s important to get things in the contract that benefit them, too. #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Ramsey spews a bit too much about church and religion, but is right on most marks. #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I think that’s the recipe that works. Having a spouse that is the anchor/health ins./w2. #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

LLCs and SCORPs don’t help there. Its still your company, and the bank sees right through that. #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

lol well it’s a good gig, I couldn’t keep it up if they didn’t work with me…so for now it works #mochat8:31 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Any respectable business should acknowledge the need for contracts. #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

i think that’s the hard part. w/ digital delivery, deadlines can be unforgiving even without $ involved #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

what i always find strange is how many people are fine working w/o OT. This makes no sense to me #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yah mortgage was tough being daily hire as well, had to show years of pay stubs to prove I was permalance #MoChat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Often times young artists are so worried about “networking” and forget to make anything. #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat yup. I work there fulltime now. Unfortunately not doing mograph8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Contracts are useless if your not prepared to go to court. Just sayin’ #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Good idea. I know people are against crowdsourcing but I did lots of contests early on and found some clients that way. #mochat8:32 PM Jul 31st, 2012

getting clients to sign is one thing. Getting them to actually pay is another I’ve found #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yeah. It’s good to know a lawyer or know someone who does. #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

But you should still have them to prove organization #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Man i was lucky. Got mortgage 6 years ago when all you needed was a SS# 😉 #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Bros need to hook me up with a spouse. #moHarmony #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah. I don’t do church or religion, but his financial advice changed my life. #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

my dad teaches that course, and that is what I got for Christmas lol…does your wife participate in the budget? #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

That’s when you have to determine if it’s worth it to go to court. #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

What said, got to lawyer up #mochat8:33 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve never had anyone pay upfront, but Ive been very lucky to have awesome clients who pay timely #mochat8:34 PM Jul 31st, 2012

So know a lawyer or one who can roll your claims into one of there “real estate” renters claims. #mochat8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If you are lucky enough to fall in the small claims court guidelines you dont need a lawyer #mochat8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

just this morning I was tweeting about finding time for R&D #mochat8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat which hurts. As an artist, can you afford a lawyer or even collection agency?8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Ha. We had ours 5 years ago and the banks still kept saying “do you plan on getting a w2 anytime soon?” #mochat8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Any mograph guys recently make a move from freelance Designer/Animator to freelance Creative Director? Any tips? #mochat8:35 PM Jul 31st, 2012

. have you or anyone else have had experience with those volunteer lawyers for the arts? Not sure the actual name #mochat8:36 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Start referring to yourself as an “artist”. Don’t mention the “computers”. #moHarmony #mochat8:36 PM Jul 31st, 2012

if it wasn’t for get I’d never have known about it. She keeps me in check, but we participate equally. #mochat8:36 PM Jul 31st, 2012

. basically they’re lawyers who will rep artists for free #mochat8:36 PM Jul 31st, 2012

There’s always Judge Judy. She’s a real ball-buster. #mochat8:36 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve never looked into that. #mochat8:37 PM Jul 31st, 2012

One way to get some freelance work is to have a busy freelancer friend who can refer you for projects they have to turn down #MoChat8:37 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : There’s always Judge Judy. She’s a real ball-buster. #mochat8:37 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ve needed one but couldn’t afford 🙁 #mochat8:37 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Why is #Mochat around and how does it differ from the constant motion graphic related conversations I have on twitter through out the day?8:37 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : I’ve never looked into that. < me neither. I was lucky enough to know someone. #mochat8:38 PM Jul 31st, 2012

that is good we struggle seeing eye to eye on most all of it ha, but agree that if you follow it, it can change ur life #mochat8:38 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It gives us a set time & topic to focus on. We also get Adobe & others to participate directly. #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’ll get their official name when I get home for you. I think they have a branch in most/all states #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It can get pricey to follow up on a claim if the client is out of town. #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s a balance for sure, and I agree you need to have some solid work behind you first. #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Okay that makes more sense, good to hear it 🙂 Hoping sits in on this stuff then! #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

whoaaaa! I heard its almost $800 in California #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

not sure my 1st time, but it seems to be a pretty steady stream of hard to follow convo’s 🙂 #mochat8:39 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It would be great to have time sometime! #mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah hook that up. That’s a nice nugget of info to have #mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Do most of you freelancers work from home, or go into studios. #mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It can definitely get hard to follow everything. #mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

mute it? I wanna join in on it! #Mochat just need to understand it 🙂8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I guess now they just listen and it’s organized #Mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

What do people do to get their name out to potential clients? Where do you network? #mochat8:41 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Talking about motion, this is some serious still motion http://t.co/cP1uFjXO #mochat #Disturbing bu #SafeForWork8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It was mostly studio work for a while and now its 50/50 #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : yeah hook that up. Thats a nice nugget of info to have < yes it is!!! #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

well then Welcome aboard! #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Shit. I’m moving there. Ha! #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat yes! What I want to know.8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

word! I’ll find them and post the company link & states they’re in #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah chaos is our nature I suppose 😉 #mochat8:42 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I just cant stand working on other peoples computers, I get mine all set up how I want it…#mochat8:43 PM Jul 31st, 2012

that is actually something I have thought about #mochat8:43 PM Jul 31st, 2012

hmm What is todays topic? #mochat8:43 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Attend and present at local meetup groups, it’s how I got to get to NAB to represent Maxon this year. #mochat8:43 PM Jul 31st, 2012

mostly in studios these days. some from home #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I use twitter FTW #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

for me it all started with one job. Repeat business and word of mouth. #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Hell, start your own local group if there is none. #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

any #Chicago peeps in here? are there good ops for video and motion there, seems like there is #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I would prefer going there to work. I feel more productive out of the house… #mochat8:44 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Self-promotion, Freelance, and Business. #mochat8:45 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Reminds me of this: http://t.co/7GgU9hPS If you animate cage-fighting nuns and tanks, I will tweet it. #mochat8:45 PM Jul 31st, 2012

thanks 🙂 #mochat8:45 PM Jul 31st, 2012

… and I feel I would make a better impression working w/ the co. IRL rather than remotely #mochat8:45 PM Jul 31st, 2012

As freelancer U have 2 know how to do anything with nothing.Need to know workaround when U dont have plugin or script #mochat8:45 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Motionworks and Twitter with a little facebook. Most importantly face-to-face at tradeshows such as NAB. #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Take a look at us at http://t.co/6PMaajhf & http://t.co/5lvUZ3DK #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I am easily distracted at my home office. I do better at co-op space or a coffee shop. #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I HAVE to leave the house or I get nothing done. Kids, wife, cat, xbox… #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

man I am totally the opposite. I get 8 hours of work done in 3 at home. #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Right. Maybe because I work with young people- they are very very very good at Twitter, not so good yet at design. #mochat8:46 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat sounds like a great topic for next week.8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

So hard to get work done at home, unless everyone else is asleep. #mochat8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I find working at home really easy and I get more done..maybe I am weird #mochat8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

But they are great at *finding* good design and *talking* about it and *posting it to facebook* #mochat8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

At work, I can stare at nothing all day before I even realize it. Might be different in a different studio each time. #mochat8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

don’t really understand it but went with a service to save money doing it #mochat8:47 PM Jul 31st, 2012

working at home works when you can close a door and no one bothers you. #mochat8:48 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I don’t have the most supportive backing when it comes to the freelancing. #mochat8:48 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : Often times young artists are so worried about “networking” and forget to make anything. #mochat8:48 PM Jul 31st, 2012

agreed some things just fly at home on my workstation #mochat8:48 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Introduce yourself and your work, show a reel, give a card, be interested and know their products. #mochat8:48 PM Jul 31st, 2012

that’s awesome. The main problem w/ my home office is that it heats up quick #mochat8:49 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Now theres a topic. the partners of Freelancers… #mochat8:49 PM Jul 31st, 2012

at home I mean #mochat8:49 PM Jul 31st, 2012

true, I am usually the only one in the house when I work at home, the evening can more of a challenge #mochat8:49 PM Jul 31st, 2012

ive been sweating in mine for years. got a portable AC last month and its fantastic! #mochat8:50 PM Jul 31st, 2012

as some1 whos lousy at design, how would recommend I get better? Are there any “rules” you follow? #mochat8:50 PM Jul 31st, 2012

10 minutes left of #mochat. Does anyone have specific questions for any freelancers/owners out there?8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

i will point a fan at my feet and town to help move that hot air #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Lots of information popping up. It seems to be so different for each person… #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

we’re starting a design collective. Some full-timers who now freelance. Miss bouncing ideas #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Personally i find when your workspace is neat and comfortable its much easier to get work done vs finding distractions #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I just work at home right now. Freelancing is good but it’s really tough. Requires a TON of focus and discipline. #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I understand that’s a very abstract question, my apologies ahead of time #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

HA! until they see the transcript and none of us have a place to sleep. #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Have to juggle both facilities and home. Home is nice but a bit distracting at times. Sometimes nags at the soul when u have 2 work #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Find what inspires you and use it to forge your own style. #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

there is also a lot to be had from being around fellow mographers. Instead of cats #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Also I think LLC’s are great, they will protect you in many cases. If you screw up your company falls, not you usually. #mochat8:51 PM Jul 31st, 2012

hahaha it’s definitely summertime #mochat8:52 PM Jul 31st, 2012

That’s the beauty of working for yourself, you can do it just the way you want. #mochat8:52 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Super easy to setup an LLC as well, and usually very cheap. #mochat8:52 PM Jul 31st, 2012

it’s also terrifying as much as it is exciting. #mochat Tough for some people to make the jump, because so few do it well enough8:52 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : Thats the beauty of working for yourself, you can do it just the way you want. < Word!! #mochat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat no stupid questions right? Here’s mine. Do you charge the same rate during rendering or only when you are designing?8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

sweet will it be local or online? #mochat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Yep. And single-member is really straight forward tax-wise, too. #mochat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Look at lots of great work, be inspired, use your creative intuition to make something unique, cool & different. No rules #MoChat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

if the rendering is taking up your time to work…maybe you work in a discounted rate or render rate. #mochat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

i hear that! 🙂 #mochat8:53 PM Jul 31st, 2012

local. Was part of a small post shop that closed a few years ago. Lots of people floating now, freelancing #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

it gets unbearable in there, like profuse sweating in February type hot #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Think, then Make. get this book: http://t.co/rpjpShXI Read. Look at design. Make it. Talk about it. Make it. Make it. #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I think if you could be doing other jobs but are instead rendering, it’s fair. But if it’s an overnight thing, no. #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I usually dont get hourly projects though Rendering is something that is iffy now I have two computers I toss one to cook on #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

People don’t always want to bring clients to their home, or a coffee shop. #mochat8:54 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If possible, I’d say get away from hourly charges unless you’re doing work for a studio, though. Quote out projects. #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

#mochat unless my system is locked up for days, I eat rendering costs mostly. Until 8th round revisions come through.8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

It’s definitely scary, you’ll know when the time is right. #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

nice, that will be good to connect, inspire, and have fun 🙂 #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : #mochat no stupid questions right? Here’s mine. Do you charge the same rate during rendering or only when you are designing?8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

My accountant (wife) says for tax liability purposes, if you ever get in a jam, setting up as a corporation is best to protect you #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : People don’t always want to bring clients to their home, or a coffee shop. #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Never stop learning. If you think you know it all you know nothing. Dont be pompous. and dont work with dicks 🙂 #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

How do you go about raising your rate over time? Is it awkward when ppl hire you expecting to be cheaper? #mochat8:55 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Some people are born unto freelance, some have freelance thrust upon them. #mochat8:56 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : Never stop learning. If you think you know it all you know nothing. Dont be pompous. and dont work with dicks 🙂 #mochat8:56 PM Jul 31st, 2012

With great responsibility…comes lots of WOW instead of work. #mochat8:56 PM Jul 31st, 2012

agreed, project rates are the best and give the client a real number vs a variable #mochat8:56 PM Jul 31st, 2012

If you have the blood of the dire wolf you’re born for greatness. #mochat8:56 PM Jul 31st, 2012

pick a time of the year to ramp up rates. Don’t go nuts. And inform repeat clients #mochat8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

and on project based bids, make sure its detailed as to what is included and when something will be an overage #mochat8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

My accountant (wifey) says that a corporation is best to protect you from tax liabilities, if you to ever get in a jam… #mochat #mochat8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

an S-Corp is a good one, I know many who use it #mochat8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

We’re in the last minutes of #mochat. Let’s flip it around. What’s the one piece of advice you’d give someone starting to work on their own?8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

many of my clients haven’t understood the importance of social media/marketing #mochat8:57 PM Jul 31st, 2012

how to be a rock star freelancer has some good tips on that front #mochat8:58 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Right, I have a longtime client, but now my rates are double what they were before…how do I deal with that? #mochat8:58 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Send out a letter/email them explaining when the rates go up. Follow up personally to accommodate after. #mochat8:58 PM Jul 31st, 2012

get a contract, stick to it. #mochat8:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I’d stay away from that term. Think of rock stars. You probably don’t want to work with someone like that. #mochat8:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

yeah buddy, leave nothing to the imagination when it comes to budgets/contracts #mochat8:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : get a contract, stick to it. #mochat8:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Dont work for free. Dont undervalue yourself. Be confident. Know your shit. If you dont know then ask #mochat8:59 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT : Dont work for free. Dont undervalue yourself. Be confident. Know your shit. If you dont know then ask #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

you can just squash them, I met you, you have muscles #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

For sure- fair enough. I’ve done work for Facebook, and I’M bad at it. #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Wow I managed to miss all of #mochat this week, shame on me #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Be consistent. #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Don’t be afraid to get in over your head. Then dig like hell to get out. You’ll be better for it. #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

at some point you have to have ‘the talk’. Iv done it. Its probly best to condition clients to rate increases #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Be ready to circumvent your income if necessary and don’t sell yourself as the cheapy #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Be ambitious and passionate, but don’t let that get in your way. Keep your head on and stay smart. #contracts #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I always through of myself as ADD, but this work seems take advantage of the ADD and make me keep working. #mochat9:00 PM Jul 31st, 2012

I googled for one then my wife modified it. She is an accountant. Well was. Stay at home mom now. #mochat9:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

At the same time know your limits don’t be afraid to ask for help #mochat9:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

budgets is a huge topic. I’ve had so many people with vague projects and ask for estimates. #mochat9:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

RT you can just squash them, I met you, you have muscles #mochat lol9:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Never stop learning, never become comfortable. Also, it’s too easy to become jaded in this industry. Love what you do 🙂 #mochat9:01 PM Jul 31st, 2012

True. i was lucky when i worked at a post house and had the oppotunity to figure out how to do any project that came in #mochat9:02 PM Jul 31st, 2012

Alright everyone, that does it for #mochat tonight, but as always, keep the conversation going. Look for the transcript tomorrow.9:02 PM Jul 31st, 2012